Old 12-04-2010, 11:01 AM
astrospotter (Mark)

What are people using to mag up refractors?

Currently have a WO FLT110 f/6.5 for imaging with a Canon 40d (mod for no IR filter) and have used it with WO field flattener with success. What have people used with good results to mag-up to 2x or even 3x of the current field size? (currently get about 1.6 degrees).

My autoguider is an Orion StarShoot hooked up to PHD autoguider software and yes I know it is tricky to mag up as that just magnifies the guide/seeing issues but I want to try it a bit.

Will a 2" 3-element Orion type barlow be acceptable for central area or will a Televue powermate barlow be noticeably better.

Also please comment on if the field flatness goes to heck in this case OR if the field flattener I have now might as well be removed when using the barlow.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Mark
Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 PM
M_Lewis (Mark)

Do you know anyone close to you that owns a good quality barlow or powermate? Personally the powermate is my preference, but nothing speaks louder than trying it before you lay down the dosh for something that potentially may be useless or problematic to what you're chasing.

Cheers

Mark
Old 13-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

I would love to try a Baader Fluorite Flatfield Converter Barlow (FFC). On spec it looks like a versitile item which could replace my collection of Powermates.
Old 14-04-2010, 05:26 PM
astrospotter (Mark)

Thanks for the inputs

I think I may be able to arrange to get a Powermate to try first.
Also I had not known about the Baader Fluorite Flatfield Converter Barlow so thanks there too.