Old 15-11-2019, 11:04 PM
Xeteth (David)

What am I looking at here?

I just purchased a used QHY8-Pro off one of the members on here which is my first CCD camera. I've downloaded the latest drivers and connected to the camera in APT - it all seems very straight forward and I'm able to set the gain/offset, cool the camera etc.

However, on some of the shots I'm getting a weird artifact of some sorts and I'm hoping someone might be able to identify what the problem is? It's the first image - clearly the white area in the top right of the image...

As a follow-up in the second image - on the right side of the image there is a black area - initially I thought something was wrong with the chip, but having done some research apparently this is the overscan area which can be used to assist in calibration. Have I got this correct?

Any assistance would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Error.jpg)
131.9 KB60 views
Click for full-size image (Error2.jpg)
121.6 KB46 views
Old 15-11-2019, 11:11 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It does look a bit like the overscan region. If you’re using Ascom for control there should be a box in there for deactivating the overscan region. All it does is hide it. As long as your calibration frames have it and your lights do it doesn’t matter.
Old 15-11-2019, 11:19 PM
Xeteth (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
It does look a bit like the overscan region. If you’re using Ascom for control there should be a box in there for deactivating the overscan region. All it does is hide it. As long as your calibration frames have it and your lights do it doesn’t matter.
You were right on the money! Disabled it in the ASCOM settings and it's gone. Cheers!