Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM
HeavyT

IDAS D2 - where to buy in Australia?

Hi all

I currently use a UHCS filter which is great for getting bright emission nebulae to pop out of light pollution, but still collects a bit of it and obviously doesn't allow reflection and dark nebs to pass through.

So I'm wondering about the IDAS D2 as I have LED streetlights in my neighbourhood. But I can't find it for sale in Australia?

Since we're here, has anyone found this filter any good for removing moonglow, or do you have to go full narrowband for that?

Thanks and clear skies 👍
Old 06-10-2019, 01:00 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Funny you're asking about filters today. Just last night. I was doing a comparison test of the different filters I have (IDAS LPS-HEUIBII/D1/D2/V4/NB2-PM/NB3-PM, STC DuoNarrowband). Despite being quarter moon, I did take them after it set.

I don't think my streetlights had changed to LED yet. As you can see the D2, has a greenish tinge.

Hope this helps you.

Helix Nebula
Takahashi µ250CRS (2500mm focal length, F10)
CentralDS Astro A7S (modified cooled A7S - sensor temp approx -5 to -6C)
ISO2000
300 sec subs
Approx Bortle 5 skies (Perth central suburbs)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HEUIBII.jpg)
67.2 KB180 views
Click for full-size image (LPS-D1.jpg)
82.5 KB148 views
Click for full-size image (LPS-D2.jpg)
94.3 KB172 views
Click for full-size image (LPS-V4.jpg)
95.5 KB148 views
Click for full-size image (STCDuoNB.jpg)
77.8 KB164 views
Click for full-size image (NB2-PM.jpg)
95.6 KB146 views
Click for full-size image (NB3-PM.jpg)
90.6 KB145 views
Old 06-10-2019, 11:33 PM
HeavyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
Funny you're asking about filters today. Just last night. I was doing a comparison test of the different filters I have (IDAS LPS-HEUIBII/D1/D2/V4/NB2-PM/NB3-PM, STC DuoNarrowband). Despite being quarter moon, I did take them after it set.

I don't think my streetlights had changed to LED yet. As you can see the D2, has a greenish tinge.

Hope this helps you.

Helix Nebula
Takahashi µ250CRS (2500mm focal length, F10)
CentralDS Astro A7S (modified cooled A7S - sensor temp approx -5 to -6C)
ISO2000
300 sec subs
Approx Bortle 5 skies (Perth central suburbs)
Thanks mate, this is very helpful, I'm also imaging in Bortle 5. I used a Baader UHCS for the Helix a few weeks back, it casts blue over everything but I can remove it in post and restore fairly natural colours. What I can't do with it is image reflection and dark nebs, and remove moonglow (and probably LED).

I wonder what the difference would be in your testing with my unmodified dslr? This gives me pause on the D2. Maybe I should just go with the moon and skyglow filter instead, which seems to get used a fair bit by others. Have you taken other images with the D2?

Thanks again - very timely testing from my point of view!

Clear skies
Old 07-10-2019, 02:27 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

I don't know much about imaging reflection & dark nebulae with unmodified DSLRs but I would have thought it wouldn't be an issue (looking at AstroBackyard's post as an example).

The LPS-D2 is supposedly filtering out LED light however I'm not keen on the green colour cast so I haven't used it much. I tend to lean more towards the LPS-V4, STC DuoNarrowband, and now most recently with last night's test am liking the new NB2/NB3 very much.

Whilst typing this post I'm currently imaging the Helix Nebula more with the new NB filters.

My filters are all 52mm for use drop-in filters. I don't actually have a non-modified DSLR - even my Nikon is a D810A, so I can't test the filters on a non-modified sensor.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 AM
casstony

Having used the IDAS P2 and D2 before and after modifying my dslr and before and after our streetlights were changed to LED, I didn't notice a big difference between the filters with regard to the type of light pollution, but I did prefer the colour balance of the P2 with a stock dslr and the D2 with the modified dslr.

For imaging under moonlight the Optolong L-Enhance does well (as would the STC Duo I imagine).
Old 08-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Paullus (Paul)

Hi Todd,

I'm yet to purchase a filter but am also leaning towards the D2. I can't find it locally but found First Light Optics to be cheapest online.