Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 18-05-2017, 02:23 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
Just for clarification - there is a REGISTRATION menu at the top of the page amongst the other menus. Apparently this may be a bit subtle for some people. :-)
Need a BIG RED button in the middle of the page.
All done now. Bring on the clear skies!
Old 18-05-2017, 02:40 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

And the winner is...

There's been quite a bit of activity today, but I can note that the first across the line was Chris (OneCosmos). What that says about what he does with his time that he can sit about refreshing his screen...probably better left unsaid!

As to more demonstrative access - I have added fireworks, dancing girls and a brass band to the list of options for next year's Astrofest registration activation. Or alternatively a big red button!

Enjoy.
Old 18-05-2017, 02:46 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post

As to more demonstrative access - I have added fireworks, dancing girls and a brass band to the list of options for next year's Astrofest registration activation. Or alternatively a big red button!

Enjoy.
If you could arrange for the real fireworks dancing girls and band - physically at a location of my choice I will be sufficiently distracted to prevent me being first to register
Old 20-05-2017, 09:09 AM
QLD_Astrofest (Committee)

Hi all Astrofest fans and participants.

Sorry for the long post, butI just have to highlight a few changes to the rules to the photo competition.

First a few words regarding the person whose memory that the competition is honouring, Erwin van der Velden.

Ervin started Astro-Photography with a film based camera at the age of 29. In 2002 he converted a Webcam to use for Planetary Imaging. Some of his highly detailed imaging of Mercury were used for scientific research.

After Erwin immigrated to Australia in 2003, he joined the Brisbane Astronomical Society and the Southern Astronomical Society. He visited on regular basis a dark sky site in Leyburn and produced fantastic Deep Sky images using his self-modified Nikon D70. He had very well defined and documented image processing techniques to extract the faintest details from his images. His images of the Solar System to the deepest sky were astounding and wowed around the world.

Unfortunately, on September 27th 2005 Erwin died at age 39 as a result of heart failure.

In 2006, his fantastic work in Astro-photography was recognised by the Astronomical Union with the renaming of minor planet "1999 BY25" discovered by Mr. Urata in Japan on 25th January 1999 to "(14664) Vandervelden".

Also in 2006, the Queensland Astrofest inaugurated the annual Erwin van der Velden Astro-Photo Competition. The Astrofest in that year was attended Erwin’s sister, Ilse, who presented the trophies to the first winners of the competition. She also created an Astro-Photography web site dedicated to Erwin: http://www.erwinvandervelden.nl/

Rules for photo submission.

TWO CATEGORIES:

THROUGH A TELESCOPE ASTRO-PHOTOGRAPHY CATEGORY
• Photos must be taken though a telescope (400mm focal length or greater)
• Photos may be deep field, wide angle, planetary, lunar or special interest involving an astronomical object or theme.

NON-TELESCOPE ASTRO-PHOTOGRAPHY CATEGORY
• Photos must not be taken though a telescope or using a 400 mm focal length lens or greater;
• Photos may be deep field, wide angle, planetary, lunar or special interest involving an astronomical object or theme.

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
• The competition is open to all Queensland Astrofest registrants.
• All entries must be received by the Registrar or your club's Astrofest by Friday 18th August. It is recommended that you give your photos directly to your club representative to pass on to the Registrar. Images WILL NOT be accepted at the camp after Friday 18th August! Posted entries MUST be received no later than the Monday prior to the camp starting. Please keep in mind that there is no internet access at the venue.
• Each entrant may submit a maximum of three (3) images for each category.
• Photos submitted must be taken at or since the preceding Queensland Astrofest.
• Photos must be printed and may be no larger than A4 in size. A digital copy must be additionally sent to the webmaster (web at qldastrofest.org.au) to facilitate any online use.
• Entrants must state the subject matter/description, the telescope/lens used, the camera used, the number of images stacked if applicable as well as the exposure time/s of each photo. This information will be used when the photo is displayed on the web site, but not before.
• All photos will be displayed in the Dining Room for the duration of Astrofest.
• The prize-winner for each category will receive the perpetual trophy on which their name will be engraved as well as a smaller trophy that they will be able to keep. It is hoped that the winner(s) will present the perpetual trophy to the winner(s) of the following year.

JUDGING
• The photos will be voted upon by the Astrofest registrants.
• When registering, everyone will receive a voting form for each category.
• The photos on display will be numbered and no names will be displayed.
• As all the photos will be on display for the whole of Astrofest, you may vote at any time prior to voting closing on the final Saturday morning.
• Voting forms to be placed in the box next to the display.
• Voting will close at 10.00 am Saturday 26th August.

Additionally I would like ask for a screen resolution digital image of all entries to be submitted so that a presentation can be created to play at the Astrofest and placed on the website.

Cheers
Queensland Astrofest
Old 06-06-2017, 02:47 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Booked my 5 nights at lunchtime today. Bring it on!

Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Astrofest Weather Forecast

Here's the page to check for Avoca Vale forecast for Astrofest 2017.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfn View Post
Here's the page to check for Avoca Vale forecast for Astrofest 2017.
Thanks CFN for that link.

Just a few reminders for the upcoming Queensland Astrofest:
  1. Early Bird Registration closes at midnight Saturday 17th June. If you haven't registered, or you know someone who hasn't registered, please do so (or remind them) before then.
  2. AstroFeast meal is a Lunch starting ~12:30-1pm.
  3. Menu for daily meals will be available on web as soon as possible.
  4. Anyone wishing to conduct a workshop/talk during the week please let the committee know as soon as possible so we can work out a program.
  5. Astro-photography Competition rule changes will be strictly enforced to ensure best chance for all photos entered.
  6. Local club members are encouraged to submit their photos to their representative ASAP.
  7. Posted photos - last date to guarantee receiving is Monday 7th June (no one will be there to receive them after this date)
  8. At camp photos will be accepted until midnight Friday 18th, (first weekend)
  9. The Queensland Astrofest will not print images as we cannot gurantee faithful reproduction.
  10. Electronic copies are requested to be sent to the webmaster/slave (screen resolution) to create a presentation to be played during the Astrofest and posted on the website.

Cheers for now.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:06 PM
h0ughy (David)

here is hoping for my usual bunk and now to pick a spot
Old 08-06-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
here is hoping for my usual bunk and now to pick a spot
Looking forward to seeing you and Alan again this year... well Alan anyway.
Old 20-06-2017, 06:40 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Booked my 5 nights at lunchtime today. Bring it on!

Looking forward to seeing you again.
Old 20-06-2017, 01:07 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Looking forward to seeing you again.
You too. Will you be on the imaging or visual field this year? IIRC you had a foot in both camps last year and were considering a switch?
Old 25-06-2017, 08:24 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
You too. Will you be on the imaging or visual field this year? IIRC you had a foot in both camps last year and were considering a switch?
You do indeed remember correctly. Last year I was definitely interested in visual but the situation was also forced upon me by computer problems that could not be resolved quickly.

I now have a dedicated intel NUC I use even in the observatory at home, so that is resolved. Notwithstanding that I will be participating in both activities. Visual is a much more 'in the moment' experience and the visual field is extremely 'civilised'.

This year will be different too because I'm abandoning the bunks in favour of my new Avan Cruiseliner (the same type as the one Renato used to bring along). I have a new WiFi router which will be kept inside the Avan and the NUC will connect to that so imaging can be light free at the scope and in my very own warm room.
Old 25-06-2017, 10:27 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I'll be there for the last 3 nights, see you there
Old 26-06-2017, 04:41 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
You do indeed remember correctly. Last year I was definitely interested in visual but the situation was also forced upon me by computer problems that could not be resolved quickly.

I now have a dedicated intel NUC I use even in the observatory at home, so that is resolved. Notwithstanding that I will be participating in both activities. Visual is a much more 'in the moment' experience and the visual field is extremely 'civilised'.

This year will be different too because I'm abandoning the bunks in favour of my new Avan Cruiseliner (the same type as the one Renato used to bring along). I have a new WiFi router which will be kept inside the Avan and the NUC will connect to that so imaging can be light free at the scope and in my very own warm room.
Sounds great Chris. What could possibly go wrong this year with two computers and a wireless network?
Old 26-06-2017, 06:41 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Sounds great Chris. What could possibly go wrong this year with two computers and a wireless network?
Another tip - to avoid problems in the field, always a good idea to make sure all drivers and software are updated the day before you leave for Astrofest so you know they're the latest.
Old 27-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I'd advise the opposite...if you know your computer is working well before the event, disconnect it from the internet before you leave so Windows can't apply any updates that might break stuff...
Old 28-06-2017, 07:29 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
I'd advise the opposite...if you know your computer is working well before the event, disconnect it from the internet before you leave so Windows can't apply any updates that might break stuff...
Sound advice and also disconnect the wireless. I remember going to bed at 22:00 one night after setting up 15min subs in Ha and coming back at 4:00 to a login screen. The lappie had applied windows updates and rebooted. When I checked the last sub it was timestamped at 22:15.
Old 28-06-2017, 08:56 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
I was being a bit facetious, following on from Peter's post
Old 28-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

sorry interpreter error
Old 28-06-2017, 07:35 PM
COSMOPARADISE (Nick)
Nick Ulich

Im determined to eliminate the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" by ordering a LYNX ASTRO HEQ5PRO USB cable, $95 delivered, better work.