Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 18-08-2017, 06:17 AM
furgle (Adam)

I now use a ridiculously expensive DL Boltwood cloud sensor for my roof automation, but up until then, I had a Kemo heated rain sensor attached to a Raspberry Pi. It never activated on even the heaviest dews. Provided you could hook it up to a latching relay it would be a good non-computer solution.
Old 19-08-2017, 04:10 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Please let me know if you've disabled the heater. I tried changing the sensitivity down from detect first drop to the next level, but one big drop still triggered it. Might need to try a smaller drop or a mist sprayer. I guess a bug landing on it might trigger it.

DT
I've got the data logging working now So far it is corresponding correctly and very quickly to the changes in rain, of which there is plenty of right now!
Old 20-08-2017, 04:46 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Excellent to hear. I installed mine today. Now to get the everything configured to get it working.

DT
Old 26-08-2017, 04:05 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Today for the first time my data logger has recorded a situation where the Hydreon did detect rain where as the AAG did not. At 06:42 in the morning and 08:25 in the morning it detected rain for about a minute each time.

In these cases it was during daylight hours so wouldn't have been a problem (roof closed anyway) but will continue to monitor and see if it happens at night. Then I'll test it with the next level of sensitivity (second most sensitive not the most sensitive).

Interestingly I was talking to a person today who's used these a lot in agriculture and he says if it is raining heavily enough in some modes it can think it's not raining, because the water is forming a clear layer over the sensor rather than being isolated droplets.

Roger.