Old 04-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Cleaning Eyepieces

Need some hands on advice for cleaning my Delos eye pieces

2 of them have a very small smear when you shine my astro torch into them on an angle

I have researched a number of youtube clips, read books and viewed other forums / sources for cleaning eye pieces and all of them describe varying methods, some even say don't clean them at all as you will damage the coatings

I welcome any hands on experience and advice

Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Kunama

Have you tried turning off the torch?

Just kidding, I use a KimWipe slightly moistened with isopropyl alcohol... no rubbing, just the weight of the wipe itself passing over any smears is usually enough, but first blow off any dust particles with a bulb blower....
Old 04-02-2018, 06:27 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Use a blower to get off any debris ,breath on the lense and wipe with microfibre cloth for water based stains and isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud or microfibre cloth for oil based (eyelashes ,fingerprints},I always try step one first and remember coatings on modern eyepieces are fairly hardy and you have to stuff up pretty badly to do damage ,Just be careful....
Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Re Cleaning EPs...Optics.

Yes..use a blower first .
Some use a q tip dipped in Acetone, it evaporates very quickly, so should not do harm.

Acetone is great for the tough stuff ..still don't put it near plastics or rubber..and don't anyone smoke whilst doing these things, or with Isopropyl Alcohol, which is a safer bet anyhow.

bigjoe.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Wavytone

Well, after 45 years of observing - and I’m also one with specs...

1. The last of your comments is half right, half wrong. It’s certainly true that the less you handle eyepieces - especially unnecessary handling - the longer they will last you. But it’s also not true that the coatings are easily damaged - quite the contrary. Modern coating technology using zinc cryolite and SiO2 produce films harder than crown glass. These are coatings that are typically pale yellow through green. I wear coated spectacles that are cleaned every day and after 2-3 years (my normal replacement cycle) the coatings are intact after 300-400 cleaning cycles usually with hot water and detergent followed by wiping dry with a tissue or clean cotton (t-shirts work well).

The coatings that ARE easily damaged were the old MgF ones - they appear deep purple and are commonly used on some SCT corrector plates. These must be treated with great care as they’re soft (easily scratched) and lengthy exposure to moisture (dew) ultimately leads to the coating coming off in patches. Well-intended but excessive cleaning will do same. MgF is rarely used on eyepieces these days.

2. The next issue is dismantling eyepieces. In short, don’t because they’ll never be as good again afterwards.

3. Cleaning:

- use a blower or soft brush to remove any loose dust.

- use a solvent that will shift grease - rubbing alcohol or acetone, even Windex is good.

- use the solvent sparingly - ie do not flood the lens because you don’t want it to flow inside where you can’t get it out. If that happens the eyepiece will fog internally at night.

- by all means use a Q-tip, cotton buds to clean grease off. A well-washed linen hanky is arguably the best to mop up and dry the lens afterwards, so are Kleenex tissues or the small pads women use to remove eye makeup.

Another way to clean small lenses is to apply some neat dishwashing detergent then pour boiling water over to wash off.

Lastly you can use turps or kerosene to shift gunk but it’s smelly and you’ll have to clean with detergent and water afterwards.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:59 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I once cleaned my ES eyepieces by dunking them in small container of warm water with dish washing detergent. I left the 4 of them in there for 10 min. You know really let the detergent remove the oil on the lenses. Rinsed dry with the distilled water and used a hair dryer to gently dry them.

Worked well.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Wilso

I think the guys have covered about everything here.
Televue have cleaning recommendations guide on their website for eyepieces and binoculars.

Cheers
Old 05-02-2018, 03:34 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Regarding my delos. I've had good success with an air blower to get rid of the large particles then very gently using a clean microfiber cloth to clean up oils and such. The coatings on modern televue eyepieces are quite durable. I don't think you necessarily need to use any fluids to clean oils and such off.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Wilso

I definetly would NOT recommend dunking eyepieces or using any type of compressed type air to clean your eyepieces!
Recipe for disaster IMOP
Any increase in pressure will drive any dust/particles/water in deeper to the seals causing grief in the long run.

A more carefull approach is highly recommended as others have stated.
Also you need to use white light source to look at the glass not red.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
68.4 KB16 views

Last edited by Wilso; 05-02-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Darren,

My Astro torch has a selector switch for white, red and blue light

It’s a nifty little torch

I have also read Uncle Al’s article on cleaning eye pieces

That’s the problem I have read and researched to much to this point

Thanks to everyone who have replied on the subject

All great advice !!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:54 PM
dreamstation (James)

Hey Martin. Some good advice given in this thread already but I suggest checking out this thread of mine from a little over a year ago where I had some trouble with an eyepiece and a stubborn residue that took some getting off. Had some great responses from some of the members here which helped clear up the problem.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=149868
Old 09-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks everyone for advice

I have now cleaned my eye pieces successfully

Used the hurricane blower and gave them a good blast

I purchase some diggers isopropyl alcohol in a pump pack, gave them a light spray and used some 100% pure cotton beauticians make up pads to wipe the lens

Then a quick breath and a second wipe with a new pad

Eye piece lens is perfectly clean and clear

One thing I noticed, I found it easier to clean them at night using my led Astro torch set on white light , you can see the whole lens in great detail than otherwise during the day

Thanks all again
Old 17-02-2018, 06:21 AM
Don Pensack

It's easy.
Good advice from Al Nagler of Tele Vue:
http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=103