Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-04-2020, 11:29 PM
highlander2287 (Brett)

Astro Photography

Well I've had my scope for a view weeks now. Its a 10" collapsible skywatcher dob with goto. I've been able to take a look at several planets, the moon and some galaxies which has been great. I'd like to try and take some photos but so far have been unsuccessful as the camera doesn't seem to want to focus or take a picture. I have read that supposedly you need to slow the shutter speed and have a higher iso setting but other than that I basically know nothing. I have tried with the camera attached to the focuser with the ring and also with a barlow lens and adaptor. The camera is my wifes older nikon d80. Searches seem to talk more about the equipment needed not necessarily how to undertake it. Any tips in relation to even the simplest settings or methods to at least try and get one photo would be appreciated.
Old 29-04-2020, 09:16 AM
h0ughy (David)

The focal plane for the camera is different from using an eyepiece.
Old 29-04-2020, 12:45 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander2287 View Post
Well I've had my scope for a view weeks now. Its a 10" collapsible skywatcher dob with goto. I've been able to take a look at several planets, the moon and some galaxies which has been great. I'd like to try and take some photos but so far have been unsuccessful as the camera doesn't seem to want to focus or take a picture. I have read that supposedly you need to slow the shutter speed and have a higher iso setting but other than that I basically know nothing. I have tried with the camera attached to the focuser with the ring and also with a barlow lens and adaptor. The camera is my wifes older nikon d80. Searches seem to talk more about the equipment needed not necessarily how to undertake it. Any tips in relation to even the simplest settings or methods to at least try and get one photo would be appreciated.
Hey Brett! I'm a beginner myself, so my advice should probably sit below any other who chime in!

I think keeping the barlow out of the "train" of gear is a good call. Have you tried taking a photo of a bright star first up, or perhaps the moon? I guess it will help to have something bright to try to bring to focus on the LCD scree/view finder. Confirm that you have the right gear in place by doing this.

You're right about settings/exposures being a bit different to general photography! Full manual mode is the way to go, you want control over everything. With my 8", I generally slew to an object and take a quick 20 or 30 second exposure at iso 3200 or 6400 depending on how faint i expect it to be, just to make sure its there in the frame. You'd need less time than that with your higher light gathering power. If you're getting nothing at these settings there is something wrong, as, even in my v short experience, it seems every piece of sky through a 10" dob would have something to show with an prime photo exposure like that.

Once you've confirmed that your object is in your frame, you can adjust settings (generally to a lower ISO, and you'll need to see what kind of exposure length your dob can handle without getting motion effects.. it will be short).

I hope this helps in some way. Stick with it mate, I'm sure it will happen for you

JP
Old 29-04-2020, 12:52 PM
Harpage (Danh)

First of all, you probably don't want to use too high of an ISO, because that will destroy your dynamic range (variation in the colours of stars) and brightens up random noise. http://dslr-astrophotography.com/iso...canon-cameras/ is an excellent resource to find out the optimal ISO for a Canon camera (I know you have a Nikon, but there will probably be an equivalent guide if you do a bit of digging) which preserves the dynamic range and reduces read noise. Many cameras have a point in which they are ISO invariant, meaning that increasing ISO has no benefit except reducing dynamic range (which is also the purpose of that guide).

Like David mentioned, the focal plane of a camera is different to an eyepiece. Reflectors are designed in a way in that you can use them without any extension tubes or diagonals (unlike refractors or catadioptrics which require a star diagonal and/or extension tube to reach focus). This means that the focal plane is inside the focuser, and prime focus will be difficult. The only way you can combat this is to replace the focuser with a low profile one, move the primary mirror forward (and replace the secondary with it, to fully illuminate the field), or to use a barlow lens. But a barlow lens won't be ideal for deep space astrophotography because it significantly slows down your imaging speed (adding a 2x barlow means you have to take exposures 4x longer to capture the same amount of light). Another way is to get a reflector which is designed specifically for imaging, like the Skywatcher 150PDS. Since your mount is alt-az, you will also have field rotation issues limiting your exposures to only a few dozen seconds (this is especially problematic at higher focal lengths, like 1200mm).

My suggestion would be to start with untracked astrophotography using a DSLR and tripod alone, and move on from there. You can easily shoot the Milky Way and greater constellations. You'll be able to get a hang of acquisition and processing by doing this. From there, you can buy an additional astrophotography rig, whether it's on a small star tracker using just camera lenses, or a full on equatorial mount and telescope. Most people who do imaging and visual will have two separate rigs, because you can't really combine the two unless you have deep pockets . The only kind of setup that I can think of which would work well for both would be a Schmidt-Cassegrain with a Hyperstar, but this particular combination will be not only expensive, but be difficult to use as well.
Old 29-04-2020, 12:57 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Brett

Definitely try with something bright first, the moon is an obvious choice. Even try during the day, pointed at the furthest object you can see.

Do try moving the focuser from all the way out, to all the way in.

Note that not all telescopes will allow a camera to reach focus. I do not know about yours.
A suggestion - leave out the barlow for now, and photograph setup you are trying to use. Someone may be able to tell if your setup should work.
Philip
Old 29-04-2020, 07:34 PM
highlander2287 (Brett)

Thanks for the tips so far guys. Will keep this all in mind and keep trying.
Old 30-04-2020, 12:17 AM
raymo

I'm sorry, but Danh is incorrect in saying that you have to do all the mods
he lists in order to get your 10" SW Dob to come to focus. All SW Dobs, collapsible or otherwise, can be used for astrophotography out of the box.
You simply unscrew the eyepiece holder and replace it with the T ring. Canon,
and as far as I know, most Nikon, DSLRs come to focus with the focuser
racked out about 10-12mm from the fully in position.
Danh was correct in many cases, but not for SWs.
As previously mentioned, you will suffer with field rotation, which for your scope will limit you to exposures of 15-20 secs. For your camera
ISO 800 and exposures[subs] of 15 -20 secs is a good starting point.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 30-04-2020 at 12:28 AM. Reason: correction
Old 30-04-2020, 06:59 PM
highlander2287 (Brett)

Thanks raymo. I was under that impression as well. I thought it would be a little easier than it has been. I have tried removing the eyepiece holder and just connecting the camera with the t-ring but could not seem to focus. This part could have been due to the settings I was using and where I had the focuser. I will try your advice and settings next time I get a chance and see if it helps.
Old 30-04-2020, 07:20 PM
raymo

Just in case it is not clear enough. The eyepiece holder screws out of the plate it is fitted into, and this reveals a 42mm female thread which you screw the T ring into. You then attach the camera directly to the T ring, and the camera should then be firmly fixed to the scope. You then obviously focus by rotating the scope's focuser knob. As I said, it should come to focus about 10-12mm from fully racked in toward the scope. If this does not work, you need to post a photo of your camera attached to the scope. I'm assuming that you bought the scope new, thus eliminating the possibility that a previous owner has
has modded the scope in some way.
raymo