Old 12-02-2020, 10:59 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Wet Idea.

Stuck in the house days without power I started thinking about my eight inch. I have arrived at the point where I need a better focuser. The current one is unsatisfactory.
So it seems the reality Is I would have to pay serious money for a decent focuser.
Then I thought why not get rid of the secondary extend the tube and mount the camera in a similar fashion to a secondary...increased efficiency as the light does not have to reflect off the secondary.
Still we have a focuser problem but I can incorporate a $169 focuser from Bintel ...suitable for a refractor..somehow cut away the focuser mechanism and adjust focus remotely via piano wire...but then ..how to build the support for the camera...camera to be ZWO cooled mono capturing in ha only...so camera ha filter tilt adjust coma corrector and focuser ...not your standard secondary mount will cut it...I am thinking 1cm box aluminium...something that means the you have a much larger than normal...maybe a glass plate like Rasa???
Like this approach because it takes all that weight off hanging to one side which I see as a huge advantage given my space etc
I like the focuses on refractors...so the other idea is to buy that refractor focuser and make a resin mounting plate ...that seems the best option.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 12-02-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:12 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Individual Astro parts are so expensive
I bought my brand new Bintel GSO 8” f5 newt including new stronger primary springs and a crayford dual speed focuser from Bintel a year ago for only $549.00
Sometimes it’s cheaper to buy new to get exactly what you want , but then again some folk like to tinker with what they have

Martin
Old 12-02-2020, 01:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex
Individual Astro parts are so expensive
I bought my brand new Bintel GSO 8” f5 newt including new stronger primary springs and a crayford dual speed focuser from Bintel a year ago for only $549.00
Sometimes it’s cheaper to buy new to get exactly what you want , but then again some folk like to tinker with what they have

Martin
Thanks for your thoughts.
I want a focuser that performs like those on my refractors. Mounting the camera in the centre is not easy as it looks but it has advantages if I can make it work. Hopefully a bit of scrap and a working $169 focuser may deliver. And maybe a osc camera instead???
Alex