Old 12-10-2014, 02:19 PM
AstroTom (Tom)

Skywatcher BD ED120 Refractor

Hi Everyone,

I bought an AZ-EQ6 mount back in July and bought this scope from Ozscopes back in August. Currently its on back order. Initially I was told it would be back in stock in a couple of weeks after this and now in October I get told its February next year. I am currently trying to shop around other astro shops to see if they have it in stock as I'm starting to get in patient but I am also looking at other options.

The other option I could do is buy the BD ED 100 scope and BD ED 80 as a guide scope. With Ozscopes the combined price of these two roughly equal that of the BD ED120. But my aim with the ED120 was to have the bigger aperture and lower f value. My question is would I be majorly missing out on much with the ED100 rather than the ED120 or should I wait until February?

I currently use a CPC 800 but I want to use this more for visual and planetary and use the ED120 purely for astrophotography so I can still do astro work with this scope.

Its a dilemma I have at the moment. Hopefully another shop may have it but I am looking at my other options and would appreciate feedback.

Regards,

Tom
Old 12-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I would wait. The stars aren't going anywhere, and you'll have the faster scope with the larger aperture, which you're unlikely to regret. You could also consider a competing apo, like a NG 127 or similar which are are around the same $$.

Last edited by Amaranthus; 12-10-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:48 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Hi Tom

Have you ride Bintel or Andrews yet? The BD ED 120 is a nice scope.

Paul
Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM
AstroTom (Tom)

Hi Paul,

I sent email to Bintel and also to Sirius optics here in Brisbane today. I'll try Andrews tomorrow. Hopefully one of these places will have it as to be honest the ED120 is the scope I really want.

I'll hopefully get an answer from them tomorrow. If not I'll give them a ring.

Regards,

Tom
Old 12-10-2014, 07:09 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Get the ED120. I have the ED100 and could really use the little bit of extra speed and advantages of aperture the ED120 gives.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:53 PM
DJT (David)

Download CCDcalc. Lets you compare FOV and camera combinations plus flattener/ reducers

I just did a compare between the 2 scopes using this and there is not a huge amount of difference. Both would need a flattener if you are imaging. With the ED100 and the standard skywatchers reducer flattener, you get down to F7.6.

With the ED120 and the same flattener/reducer, you get F6.4

Not a big difference to be honest, neither is an astrograph, but the interesting thing is that with, say a canon 60da and the 120, imaging scale is 1.72 whilst with the 100 and the same camera, scale is exactly the same..in both cases using the same reducer/flattener combination.

FOV is pretty much the same as well...as expected..

So...you are getting a heavy scope with the same outcomes as the lighter one?

Dilemma
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

David's advice of getting a field flattener/reducer is certainly worth considering - I've got one for my BD ED120 and have been very happy with the images obtained using it and a 60Da.

Paul
Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

The focal length of the ED100 and ED120 are the same - 900mm. At prime focus the ED100 is F9, the ED120 F7.5. I use Bintel's Orion 0.8x reducer to get down to F7.2. Of course the focal length then drops to 720mm for the ED100. The ED120 with the same reducer becomes F6 at 720mm.

The ED100 at F9 doesn't need a field flattener. The stars are sharp to the edge, although a flattener can help smooth the center hot spot.

But it's not all about focal ratio and focal length. That extra aperture of the 120mm gets you fainter stars than the ED100. Not a massive difference, about 40% more I think it is.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:37 PM
AstroTom (Tom)

Thanks for the advice everyone, yea the field flattener is something that I'm planning to buy too. I also put the Ed100 and ED120 into stellarium as occulars and notice very little difference. But as noted below it's the bigger aperture that I particularly like as it will get the fainter stars.

I emailed Andrews optics this evening and will follow up with a call tomorrow. The advertise as having ED120 in stock but Ozscopes also had the same advertisement only to email me saying they didn't.

Anyway thanks for the advice.

Tom
Old 13-10-2014, 11:51 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

myastroshop.com.au seem to have the 120 in stock too: http://myastroshop.com.au/products/d...p?id=MAS-045D2

Steve is a no-BS seller, and his prices are usually very good. I have had not a single issue in dealing with him for over 3 years.
Old 13-10-2014, 12:53 PM
AstroTom (Tom)

Just tried myastroshop and they are also out of stock as well. Andrews are checking their warehouse and my local astro shop are also out. They guy my local shop said he could get me the Orion 130mm ED triplet at the end of this month but given that this is a triplet its probably going to be out of my budget.

Will try Bintel next.

Tom
Old 14-10-2014, 04:39 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

I bought mine from Andrews , no problems great to deal with. They normally say in their adds if they're out of stock, I also notice they are $300 cheaper than ozscopes. Freight would only eat a small slice of that.
Philip
Old 14-10-2014, 07:55 PM
AstroTom (Tom)

Hi Everyone,

I finally managed to get the BD ED120. Its on its way from Andrews as I write. Pretty much everywhere was sold out and Andrews only had a couple left. Just sorting out the field flattener at the moment but as usual with buying a new scope it'll probably be cloudy now for the next month or so.

Thanks for all your help,

Tom
Old 14-10-2014, 07:58 PM
vlazg (George)

The Saxon ED 120 is the same scope as the BD, although you would have to improve the focuser, say a moonlight, try astronomy alive
Old 15-10-2014, 12:06 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Glad you got the scope!
Old 15-10-2014, 08:24 AM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

The focuser on the SW is quite solid and has a 10:1 control, I use mine for AP with OAGuider and celestron nightscape ( 0.8Kg) , no problems of flexure or slip. Also get some images before you invest in a field corrector, I'm quite happy with my photos .
Philip
Old 15-10-2014, 08:26 PM
AstroTom (Tom)

Hi everyone,

The scope has arrived and I'm still playing around with it I'll spend more time on the weekend with it on the mount and start looking at getting it balanced. In the meantime eventually I'm looking at guiding via guidescope. Can anyone recommend a good guidescope that would work well with the ED120 telescope?

Regards,

Tom
Old 15-10-2014, 09:08 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

If you get a Moonlite focuser, Sirius in Brisbane and myastroshop carry them cheaper than one other one mentioned in this thread (considerably cheaper). The SW Crayford is pretty dodgy, unfortunately, so either an upgrade to Moonlite or if you can stretch it, Feathertouch, is a good option. If the budget WON'T then I can detail to you how to significantly improve the functionality and weight bearing capacity of the stock SW focuser - and it is a VERY cheap fix - under $10!!!

As is, the SW focuser won't hold much weight - definitely not a DSLR at any angle approaching zenith, even locked down with vice-grips and King Kong's muscles. You CAN adjust the draws somewhat, but the issue is the drawtube flat and the pinion - not enough tension on either. It is as simple as installing a section of shrink tube over the pinion that fixes this, then re-adjusting, but it also means disassembly of the focuser - not sure how mechanically minded you are, but it is simple. It DOES increase the feel of the focusing somehwat (feels tighter and heavier, which it is), but it will hold more than just a light EP now (I found that they would often slip even with the lightest of EP!).

Enjoy your scope - they are pretty darned nice, especially for their price point. I had an ED100 for some time, andapart from the focuserissue, it was a nice bit of kit.
Old 15-10-2014, 09:50 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
The Saxon ED 120 is the same scope as the BD, although you would have to improve the focuser, say a moonlight, try astronomy alive
The focusser on the SW ED120 is not the same as the "cheap" one on the Saxon . As I have already stated as an owner it easily supports without flexure and slippage both an OAG with guide camera and a celestron Nightscape camera ( which is heavier than the average DSLR). It is also a 10:1 fine adjustment focusser. Yes a moonlight focusser would be desirable on most telescopes but in this case the stock focuser is quite adequate for astrophotography. See some of my 5 - 10 min stacked subs in beginners astrophotography to see what it can do.
Philip
Old 15-10-2014, 10:34 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

The stock focuser on my ED100 is rock solid also. Maybe SW fixed previous problems with it.