Old 25-09-2010, 06:40 PM
orestis

Obs Notes 25/9/10

Hi everyone,

There was high cloud all day today and as the sun set it cleared up to my suprise.

I set up the scope and observed Venus which was a beautiful crescent phase which shone brightly.

As i was just looking at the sky i saw a bright dot and realised that it must be the iss coming over.I had a 6.5mm ep in the scope and i thought i'd try and view it and so i did.i tried a few times and didn't get it until this one time when i had it for 5 seconds before it went into the trees.
It was Awesome i could see the solar panels and all it was very bright,its got to be one of the coolest things i've seen.

After that i had a look at albireo which is a beautiful double with orange and blue components.Then i looked at M27 which was cool.

Sorry about how short my report but i had to tell you guys about my ISS experience tonight as tommorow i wouldn't have a computer to tell you guys.

Regards Orestis
Old 25-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Rob_K

Excellent Orestis, your description of the ISS inspires me to give it a go! Imaged it, but never seen it through the eyepiece. Sounds wonderful!

Cheers -
Old 25-09-2010, 08:03 PM
hellaflush (Adam)

Orestis - reading your post questioned what I thought was going to be a poor night tonight... I was unaware we had a delayed moonrise tonight... and it was very cloudy before - I just peaked my head outside and no moon... no clouds... *grabs telescope* cyas
Old 25-09-2010, 11:01 PM
pgc hunter

Mad as observation of the ISS. Well done Orestis! I've attempted to catch it, but it's so fast I couldn't see nothing lol

Have you ever tried chasing aircraft with the scope? Great fun, once I could see the sillouhettes of people inside the lit cabin of a NZ bound flight departing north of here, which allowed a sideways view of the plane.

cheers
Old 26-09-2010, 12:09 PM
orestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
Mad as observation of the ISS. Well done Orestis! I've attempted to catch it, but it's so fast I couldn't see nothing lol

Have you ever tried chasing aircraft with the scope? Great fun, once I could see the sillouhettes of people inside the lit cabin of a NZ bound flight departing north of here, which allowed a sideways view of the plane.

cheers
Thanks guys,

Yes i have tried chasing airplanes.From where i live there fairly small about the size of a full moon.I saw one at night time and when the lights flashed i could see the logo on the back, this plane was a qantas i could also see the cabin lights but no sillouttes must try that out one day.

regards orestis
Old 26-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Well caught, Orestis. I saw the ISS through a scope for the first time only recently. Had my ED80 out to look at the moon - being small it was easy to point at the space station. I could not have managed with my dob.