Old 25-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Narrowband newb Qs...

Folks,

Given the dark site time we seem to have had this year has been punctuated with clouds, I'm considering trying to make use of my gear on other clear nights of the month. This got me thinking about narrowband and I figure if I can get a few more nights of imaging done for minimal investment then I'm happy

I've just moved house and in the new place I've got a different aspect than I had before and I can pretty easily see the fifth star in Crux, if that gives any indication of the light pollution situation. It's an improvement over the last location

H-alpha seems to be the obvious choice to go for. I'll be using my modded Canon 1100D which seems to have quite a nice response at the red end. I also already own a Lumicon OIII for visual in a 2" thread (assuming this is OK?)

So....
  1. what FWHM should I aim for?
  2. what about S-II?
  3. what form factor would I be best to invest in?
The reducer for my trusty Zenithstar 71mm is threaded to accept a 2" filter, but what if I want to increase focal length one day and use my Edge 8? Will it be futile trying to do any narrowband imaging at f/7 or f/10, in which case I should just get the 2" to use with my refractor, or is there a solution that lets me sneak a filter somehow into the backfocus of the Edge 8?

I've seen Astronomik sell clip-in filters for Canon EOS which would seem to solve the problem, but that binds the investment to Canon

Sorry for lots of questions, it's a new adventure...any comments, suggestions, etc, all appreciated
Old 25-06-2015, 12:38 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

I use this

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...ig-sensor.html

with my coma corrector and off axis guider. makes it work.

I went for 2" rather than clip in so that when I eventually go mono I don't have to repurchase filters

Last edited by rustigsmed; 25-06-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 25-06-2015, 12:42 PM
glend (Glen)

Dunk when did you move to Brisbane?

Re narrow band with a Canon DSLR, while you can certainly get Ha with your modded camera, your going to get alot of other stuff as well as you know, and I don't know if a CLS filter will do much other than increase your exposure times. Don't you need to debayer the sensor to convert it to mono to do true narrow band imaging?
Old 25-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

try this http://www.stark-labs.com/craig/reso...rRecon_API.pdf
Old 25-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
I use this

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...ig-sensor.html

with my coma corrector and off axis guider. makes it work.

I went for 2" rather than clip in so that when I eventually go mono I don't have to repurchase filters
Great - thanks Russell! I'll have to get number crunching and see what other spacers I'll need to squeeze it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Dunk when did you move to Brisbane?

Re narrow band with a Canon DSLR, while you can certainly get Ha with your modded camera, your going to get alot of other stuff as well as you know, and I don't know if a CLS filter will do much other than increase your exposure times. Don't you need to debayer the sensor to convert it to mono to do true narrow band imaging?
Last week I guess it means I'm out of trips to Bretti anytime soon, but never say never...life is an adventure

I'm looking to use a H-alpha filter, which sits nicely in the red band and since modding I've been stoked by the red response in the admittedly bright targets I've had a quick look at. It's what I've got, so what have I got to lose

RGB is a priority, but the weather around new Moon hasn't been friendly the last few months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
Great - thanks Ray! That's an interesting read