Old 28-04-2019, 04:53 PM
philr (Philip)

Hi from Tumut NSW

Hi, Introducing myself, my name is Phil. Any tips on best ways to use this page would be appreciated.

Cheers

Phil
Old 28-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Wavytone

Hi Phil, welcome to our little corner of the digital universe, I think its more-or-less self explanatory - if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask (we don't bite - most of the time).

And have a good time here.
Old 29-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Phil
Welcome and don’t be afraid to ask questions
Try and ask your questions in the appropriate categories and your replies will be provided in a more timely manner
Beginners usually ask “what telescope should I buy first” It’s not a silly question just a starting point !!
Good luck and enjoy this amazing hobby
Cheers
Old 29-04-2019, 06:19 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Yes Phil , Wavy and Startrek give good advice , I will add read up as much as you can before plonking down $$$'s on a scope as there are so many pitfalls in this hobby .

The worst Best ? is buying a cheap tiny refractor off EBay or the likes ,,, WARNING !!! Don't do it . It will kill your passion so fast ! ,, the pictures they show on the nice shiney box are NOT ! what you will see .
Sometime down the track a scope like this might be got for holidays ,, but thats a big MIGHT .

We call these scopes either ' Department store specials ' or ' Hobby killers '

Read up here and decide what you want to view , I say view as forget astro photography for now , just be a visual observer to start out and that's where my 5c comes in . .

Buy a 6 or 8 inch Dobsonion off Bintel , Astro Pete's or Andrews Communications and you will be happy for years trust me there is years of observing to be had with a quality scope like these guy's sell ,.

Read the beginners section here , and learn as the sky aint going anywhere fast .

Brian.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

hi Phil, for a start do you have any gear and what is your area of interest in astronomy, if any?