Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-07-2014, 07:04 PM
hotspur (Chris)

attacked at work today,then forget to use my cam.

Had a strange day today,was out on a remote property,putting some trail cameras out to monitor wild dogs,I carry my gear in a shoulder style bag,along with a smaller shoulder bag to carry my G1X.

I'd just walked up from gully,and heading back towards my vehicle,I noticed a chap working a small tractor around 300 meters away from the boundry fence of my graziers' property,my vehicle was about 200 meters up the gully,anyhow this bloke gets off his tractor and starts walking over-did not think much of it,then gets to boundry fence and jumps over and heads up the steep track-he really seemed to want to have a chat,all good.Eventually he gets to near my vehicle,and all hell brakes loose,as he sets on me.No chit chat,he says something about my bags that have poison baits,and that I was putting them out,and his dogs had been killed by poison baits,all this while I was dodging his fists,I was still calm,and tried to placate him,I stood up to him and he slowed down a bit,and I was pleased I dodged all contact.

Tried to explain,that the grazier,who's land I was working on does not put poison baits out,or believes in them,and that I was not putting baits out.No use- this fella had made up his mind-he saw those bags on my shoulder from along way,he said and made his mind up that they were poison.

He walked off,only to come back again for another swing.Really rattles you when something like this happens,completely out of the blue,I am now so annoyed with myself for not taking out my G1X and at least getting a image of him as he walked back and hopped over my clients fence.

I called the owners,who were concerned about my safety,so quickly decamped the area,and called the police.

All this on my first day back,after a awful head cold.
Old 24-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Astro_Bot

Sorry to hear that. The fight/flight response really isn't that much good to us in this day and age, for either party, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
after a awful head cold.
It's OK. You can call it "man flu". You're amongst friends.
Old 24-07-2014, 07:17 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Keep safe out there Chris - more than just fists out your way.

Had a similar situation some years ago shooting on our family property out beyond Monto. I was just plinking at cans and rocks out to 400 yards with an SMLE, enjoying the time with my father and Grandfather. NONE of us hunt.

Anyway, of course, 30 or so rounds of 303 resounds and rolls through the hills and valleys pretty well. Within 5 minutes we had an irate farmer jumping the property fence line storming toward us, all the while seething spite about how we were responsible for downing 2 of his cattle last week... an he's about to start swinging fists at a guy armed with a loaded rifle!

Needless to say, I unloaded but quick and set the rifle down to try to reason with him, and it was not until we made mention we had only arrived in Monto that very morning did he start settling down.

He told me he was going to report my shooting to the Police, and I told him to go ahead - I was shooting legal firearms on family designated property. Surprisingly, we DID get a visit by the local constabulary that night, and no problem - we ended up meeting the Senior Constable next day at Monto Range and let him do 20 rounds through the SMLE
Old 24-07-2014, 07:26 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Yes,Lewis,talked with police.

They are going to have a visit with this fellow,which could be enough to make him pull his head in a bit,otherwise its all down word against word.

Would not have helped a great deal,but taking a photo of him as he walked back through my graziers' property and hopping the fence.After twenty years of doing this sort of work,I've never had an encounter like this before.
Old 26-07-2014, 11:47 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Personally I would be demanding he be arrested for attempted murder.
That won't happen but to let him off is not good.
Scare the hell out of him because if this is his style taking any sting out of his approach to his perceived enemies is a service you should give to the world at large
Do you think he will never offend again
And as you know if you or I step out of line the law comes down like a ton of bricks.
Also he is guilty of trespass
I wonder if he has been a problem to your client or others
I wonder what crops he grows ...he may end up on the helicopter list..it is often bad behaviour that gets a visit
Domestic violence in my area gets a visit..how good is that
Old 26-07-2014, 09:56 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

If he's swinging punches at you already, taking a snap/photo of him aint going to help his mood. People start threatening and getting violent just from taking photos of them in the street, let alone someone already pumped up on adrenalin.
Old 27-07-2014, 05:12 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Best to always carry something that can be used as a weapon with you - something legal like a small dumbell, or hammer - and be prepared to use it.

I used to go running at night, when a car load of hoons gave me a hard time. So, next time I went running I had little barbells I could use as clubs on them, or their windshields.

For some strange reason, when one is prepared for an incident, it never seems to happen.
Regards,
Renato
Old 27-07-2014, 07:43 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Yes Troy,that's correct,I was in shock after this episode-but this person walked a very long way into private property to seek me out,I was at vehicle,afterwards thought I should have taken a photo of him as he walked all the way back to fence (over 100 meters away).But did not even think.

The police officer who took my statement,said its quite normal not to think of such things after something like this,the officer did look at my in the field images of my regular work,most taken just before this episode,and found thought useful for his establishing of facts.

Yes,Renato,when prepared nothing seems to happen,given my job title-I carry a bit more fire power than a few dumb bells,but by keeping calm,and trying to placate this person,I have taken the best course of action-all who I have talked with,are amazed at the restraint I used in this situation,and now this person is under investigation from police-and from what the police have mentioned-it appears not looking to good for him.I have also taken legal advice on the matter,and hopefully this person will end up before a magistrate,and be dealt with in the appropriate fashion.
Old 28-07-2014, 07:37 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Best to always carry something that can be used as a weapon with you - something legal like a small dumbell, or hammer - and be prepared to use it.

I used to go running at night, when a car load of hoons gave me a hard time. So, next time I went running I had little barbells I could use as clubs on them, or their windshields.

For some strange reason, when one is prepared for an incident, it never seems to happen.
Regards,
Renato
When I used to seriously run I'd train at night mostly ( young family commitments in the early evening ) and had a few scares with people and dogs. Was doing photography so started carrying my big side mounted flash gun ( Guide #36 ). Only ever needed it once after that on a dog but boy did he scarper !!!
Anybody who might have approached me would have been seeing spots for hours after and I would have been miles away.
Old 28-07-2014, 10:50 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
When I used to seriously run I'd train at night mostly ( young family commitments in the early evening ) and had a few scares with people and dogs. Was doing photography so started carrying my big side mounted flash gun ( Guide #36 ). Only ever needed it once after that on a dog but boy did he scarper !!!
Anybody who might have approached me would have been seeing spots for hours after and I would have been miles away.
That is brilliant.
One has to be very careful with self defence as it is easy to use ..as the law sees it ..excessive force whereby you can be prosecuted
Many years ago two of my brother in laws would drive at night down the road from my place and stop the car and all the curious cows would assemble around the car and then they would set off the flash to have the cattle run all over..terrible but that's what brothers in law will do.
Up until recently for me it was the aggressor who had the problem never had a dog attack however I think such an attack would be off putting but one would have to take very strong action and I think one would be inclined to hold back for fear of hurting the dog but really they are flesh and bone and can be immobilised
Old 30-07-2014, 08:57 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

The news this morning makes your run-in all the more scary. Few details yet but it sounds awful.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-3...-moree/5634006

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...a4745f9ebb6cdf
Old 30-07-2014, 09:22 AM
inertia8 (Australia)

^ I was just thinking the same thing AT.