Old 14-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Star Hunter

Takahashi Astrograph: Anyone using one?

Was wondering if anyone else is using this instrument as their main imaging system? I use mine with a Canon 60DDa mounted on a Titan 50.

BTW, here's new link I found in Yahoo group... http://tinyurl.com/opthjph.

cheers,

Jim
Old 14-04-2014, 05:11 PM
George Ionas

Hi Star Hunter, Just purchased a secondhand Takahashi Epsilon 180. Due to Easter it will be a couple of weeks by the time I get delivery from the US to New Zealand.

George
Old 14-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Star Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ionas View Post
Hi Star Hunter, Just purchased a secondhand Takahashi Epsilon 180. Due to Easter it will be a couple of weeks by the time I get delivery from the US to New Zealand.

George
Well mate, you will get a delight in using it. The collimation was spot-on, considering it made its way from japan to Sth. Aust. then up to Qld. It's built like a brick SH. Focusing is very critical as we talking in microns of a mil, so take your time in focusing, I use Nebulosity 3 or EOS BYE with the 60Da DSLR to get best focus then enlarge the image to 400%. You won't get razor sharp images at that rez but if you can get it as close as poz, a FF image you won't see any unsharp pixels. Now if only Tak made a bigger model.. like a 12, 16, 16, 18 or even a 20 inch F2.8.... What will you mount it on and what camera will you use. See you on the Yahoo group!
Old 14-04-2014, 06:18 PM
George Ionas

Will place the Tak 180 Epsilon on the AP1200GTO mount.

I have found a site where someone uses a Robofocuser motor and used different size pulley gears to improve the focusing.

Currently, I'm building a 12.5inch f/4 and will try it with a Keller focal reducer so get it near f/2.8. I had used this focal reducer on an AstroTeck 8inch f/4 and it worked well. At present it is the focuser that is holding me up. I ordered and paid for a FT3515 in Mid January and Wayne tells me that my order is in the "pipe line" and I have to wait my turn.

George
Old 14-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Star Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ionas View Post
Will place the Tak 180 Epsilon on the AP1200GTO mount.

I have found a site where someone uses a Robofocuser motor and used different size pulley gears to improve the focusing.

Currently, I'm building a 12.5inch f/4 and will try it with a Keller focal reducer so get it near f/2.8. I had used this focal reducer on an AstroTeck 8inch f/4 and it worked well. At present it is the focuser that is holding me up. I ordered and paid for a FT3515 in Mid January and Wayne tells me that my order is in the "pipe line" and I have to wait my turn.

George
That mount will be fantastic for this setup. Tell me more about these scopes you're building. What flat field lens will you use and what will control the scope's coma? Are these astrographs or Newtonians?
Old 14-04-2014, 08:45 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

And here I thought you meant the REAL Takahashi astrograph, the FSQ106

At f/3.6 which is what I will be operating the FSQ at (had it a few weeks, and it has been shotty ever since!), I have approx. 40 microns of critical focus zone to deal with. NO human can do that effectively/repeatably, so I bought the Sharpsky Pro system, with custom collar done by Dave for the Tak size reduction pinion. I now have to complete the mounting arrangement for it - gone a bit different with this

Until I get my AP Mach 1 - whenever they make one - I will use my NEQ6 (damn it!).

Epsilons are incredible instruments. Have fun with it! Such a tiny beast, but so damned impressive!
Old 14-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Star Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
And here I thought you meant the REAL Takahashi astrograph, the FSQ106

At f/3.6 which is what I will be operating the FSQ at (had it a few weeks, and it has been shotty ever since!), I have approx. 40 microns of critical focus zone to deal with. NO human can do that effectively/repeatably, so I bought the Sharpsky Pro system, with custom collar done by Dave for the Tak size reduction pinion. I now have to complete the mounting arrangement for it - gone a bit different with this

Until I get my AP Mach 1 - whenever they make one - I will use my NEQ6 (damn it!).

Epsilons are incredible instruments. Have fun with it! Such a tiny beast, but so damned impressive!
...a 106 Takky eh? not a bad piece of kit.. but aren't they used mainly for finderscope? Ouch!!!
Anyway, please tell me more about this focusing system you have? Better than this..... http://tinyurl.com/3b56ac

Hey, I've got an EQ6 for my two cameras....works like dream... when I'm awake that is....
Old 14-04-2014, 11:27 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Hi, I have a new E-130D sitting in the corner of my room, see my blog for pics.

It's bloody torture, waiting for the tube holder from AEC in Sydney, unable to use it!!!!!!!

Talk about a solid little creature, I call it my wombat.

So I guess a micro focuser is pretty much compulsory? I've got a Bahtinov mask to try. Arrrggghhh the wait is killing me.
Old 15-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Star Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Hi, I have a new E-130D sitting in the corner of my room, see my blog for pics.

It's bloody torture, waiting for the tube holder from AEC in Sydney, unable to use it!!!!!!!

Talk about a solid little creature, I call it my wombat.

So I guess a micro focuser is pretty much compulsory? I've got a Bahtinov mask to try. Arrrggghhh the wait is killing me.
Simon,

Here are some links re the Sharpsky Pro...http://www.sharpsky.net/SharpSky_Pro_manual.pdf and....http://www.dt-space.co.uk/SharpSky_Kit/

I've emailed this guy Dave... dtrewren@ipwireless.com so let's see what he has to say re his kits. The link to the Robo Focuser and bits comes to $400 USD + so the former may be the answer. Yes, you will need critical focusing even at F3.6. Collimation is PITA if you have to do it. I use BYEOS and Nebulosity 3 to get focus but this kit may save the day. What camera will you be using?
Old 15-04-2014, 06:09 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Great to meet you StarH. I'm only new to this money pit hobby, so the idea of having to get yet another gadget for the scope....sheesh!

Looks good though. Tell me how it goes!

I've heard others say that these scopes hold their focus very well, so am willing to struggle for a bit.

I will be using a modded EOS 40D for photography at first, an old trusty friend that I . Then maybe in a year or two I'll succumb to a mono CCD!

These scopes are lightning fast, so I'm really looking fwd to testing how low exposure times I can get without an obvious quality reduction. Can't wait to try. I'll keep an eye out for your images on the forum too. No pressure eh! I'll join your group.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Star Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Great to meet you StarH. I'm only new to this money pit hobby, so the idea of having to get yet another gadget for the scope....sheesh!

Looks good though. Tell me how it goes!

I've heard others say that these scopes hold their focus very well, so am willing to struggle for a bit.

I will be using a modded EOS 40D for photography at first, an old trusty friend that I . Then maybe in a year or two I'll succumb to a mono CCD!

These scopes are lightning fast, so I'm really looking fwd to testing how low exposure times I can get without an obvious quality reduction. Can't wait to try. I'll keep an eye out for your images on the forum too. No pressure eh! I'll join your group.

The Taks are as good as they get. It's quality thru and thru. If I had the $$'s I'd get their 8" refr. and mount. Taks are known for their collimation and holding it. So once you get pinpoint focus, lock and forget it. In all my 60 years in astronomy, I haven't seen one single complaint about the Taks, only from those who wish they could afford one...LOL.. IMHO, Taks out-perform AP, Borg and TMBs but not sure about a Carl Zeiss refractor of equal aperture. Now that would be test!! But as the old saying goes, it's not what you use, but how you use it.

As for your mod 40D, enjoy it as I too, have one. Yep, got mine done a few years ago in Sydney, Best thing I ever did to a DSLR. It's a Full Spectrum sensor and taking images in Ha of nebulae, is as good if not better than using filters and with your setup, like Lewis with his Epsilon, these scopes are made for those who appreciate quality. See you over in the Yahoo group. I'll post some pics there.

Last edited by Star Hunter; 15-04-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 15-04-2014, 11:26 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Well we sound like we'll get along just peachy! I'm only very new to astronomy, though I've been interested in it for most of my 40 yrs or so here. But never invested in the hobby, never owned a telescope, almost fearing how much I might enjoy it.

So, when I decided to get a scope, a good buddy who loves his Tak 102N and baby Tak convinced me to go the whole hog for a first scope! I've seen many people spend heaps of money upgrading their scopes, so because I've taken to it so late, I figured I might as well get the best, or close to best. Why wait years I say. Though I have bought a light bucket for casual observing though - the Lightbridge 12 inch. Ha, it feels like an early model Hyundai car, compared to a military Benz for the Tak!

Got myself some great EPs too, some Televue Delos, already proving to be amazing buys, compared to the $59 Bintel 42mm eyepiece I'm also using. So crisp. Again, can't wait to mate those little jewels to the Tak. But some in the forums say it's not great for observational? Yet Tak say it's capable. What you think? Need a coma corrector (again, Tak don't seem to encourage it)?

Wow you sound very experienced and have owned a few scopes it seems! Keep in touch, it'll be good to sound off ideas and comparisons. And that focuser sounds promising.
Old 15-04-2014, 12:02 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I don't have an Epsilon... yet. I know a guy who has one with my name on it....

May I suggest http://www.tan14.com/Tak.htm

His prices are slightly better than Claude's, delivery is FAST (I got my focal reducer, adapter ring and finder mount in a week after placing the order). I hate to not support an Aussie, but I never got a firm answer from Claude about arrival dates of parts (I want NO messages about this - I know ho many feel, and sorry, I still like dealing with Claude).
Old 15-04-2014, 08:18 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

hey Lewis, I have a friend who is tossing up between your FSQ 106 and a 180 epsilon. What do you reckon, would the E be a better pick for deep sky work?

Thanks for the link to the Hong Kong site, yes I"m getting frustrated with the AEC customer service side of things too. Am about to sheepishly ask how my latest order is going, overdue now and no updating of progress....
Old 15-04-2014, 08:36 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Depends what his preferences are.

Personally, I dislike any artificial image artifact, so diffraction spikes are a big negative to me, so that rules out nearly every telescope with a mirror Always loved refractors over any other type anyway.

Can't get the FSQ106 quite as fast as the Epsilon either (f/5 natively, f/3.6 reduced vs the Epsilon f/2.8)
Old 15-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Star Hunter

If anyone is contemplating DS imaging be that with CCD or a DSLR, may I suggest the E180? I made that decision last year and have have never looked back. To shoot at F2.8 and have pinpoint stars right to the edge, beats all comers.

If using a FF DSLR you have a 500/2.8 lens and if using a 1.3 cropped sensor like the 60Da, then it's a tad higher, but hey, with an ISO setting of 800, exp. are so short (3-8mins), you don't have to guide! I do anyway as I've got a GSO 6" F4 in tandem and SW BD 5" g/scope with a Lodestar. While Tak make gear that lasts, don't cut your nose to spite your face. Quality has its price and Tak's are no exception.

Look at those who chose to use RC's. They chose them for larger aperture while working at F8, but that is 5 stops slower than an E180!!

Now if only Tak made an Epsilon 300 F2.8......
As a retired photojournalist, lens speed and ISO is crucial in low light. That is common knowledge and in astronomy, there's no exception. Aperture and fast ratios, allow lower ISO's to be used to get better quality images. In the days of film, we only had 125 and 400 ISO emulsions. Konica had a 3200ISO colour which was good for those who wanted false colours in their stars!

So get that E180 Simon, and make me happy knowing you have one!