Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15-09-2012, 09:02 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

New SkyWatcher Mount AZ-EQ6-GT

Came across this earlier today ..!!

SkyWatcher - AZ-EQ6-GT ATL-AZ Mount

Skywatcher AZ-EQ6GT Mount - alt-azimuth and equatorial

The professional mount for DSLR and other digital cameras to take 360° panoramic photos.

take professional photographs and video sequences with your high quality photographic equipment
create automatic capturing sequences with up to 6 automatically approachable fixpoints
360° full format panorama possible
ideal for professional time lapse capturing
also for solar observations and -photography
computerized mount for sky observing

DAY & NIGHT SERIES - AZ-EQ6GT

also for telescopes with larger diameter tubes
carries two telescopes at same time
weight of mount head 15 kg
carries telescopes up to 20 kg
http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/Mou...6GT-Mount.html

Probably in competition with Meades New LX80 Mount.

Flash .. !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (AZ-EQ6-GT-5.jpg)
55.6 KB763 views
Click for full-size image (AZ-EQ6-GT-1.jpg)
65.3 KB701 views
Click for full-size image (AZ-EQ6-GT-2.jpg)
57.7 KB615 views
Click for full-size image (AZ-EQ6-GT-3.jpg)
49.1 KB699 views
Click for full-size image (AZ-EQ6-GT-4.jpg)
43.8 KB727 views
Click for full-size image (AME 2012-AZ EQ6 - 4.jpg)
81.4 KB617 views
Old 15-09-2012, 09:54 AM
casstony

Probably better quality than the Meade too. It's been coming for a while and supposed to be available in October according to Marcus Ludes. I just wish they'd use thicker tripod tubing so the tripod was equal to the capacity of the mount.
Old 17-09-2012, 10:20 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Thanks Flash
I was thinking of getting an EQ6 but am going to wait a bit...this looks even better
Old 17-09-2012, 11:08 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Probably better quality than the Meade too. It's been coming for a while and supposed to be available in October according to Marcus Ludes. I just wish they'd use thicker tripod tubing so the tripod was equal to the capacity of the mount.

I saw the Meade LX80 head in Bintel at the weekend. It is very heavy, more than I expected. Interesting that the Meade doesn't have an autoguider port, so they need to make an accessory module. From the pictures the Skywatcher does have an AG port, so that's already one thing in its favour. Wonder what the price will be.
Old 31-10-2012, 02:01 PM
grantboxer (Grant)

New Skywatcher EQ6 Mount

Has any used one of these new mounts and can offer any comments?
Cheers Grant
Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 AM
PlanetMan

Yep - I saw one of these in the flesh (or perhaps a better choice of words is the metal) yesterday and I must say that it looks like quite a clever design. Essentially, an EQ6 with a wedge at the bottom and a modified counter-weight bar. All things considered it doesn't appear to be all that larger than the original EQ6. The build quality also didn't look too bad at all either - pretty good in fact - however - I am still not too sure whether folks who buy a circa 8-10k AP refractor such as in the pics would be using this particular mount.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetMan View Post
Yep - I saw one of these in the flesh (or perhaps a better choice of words is the metal) yesterday and I must say that it looks like quite a clever design. Essentially, an EQ6 with a wedge at the bottom and a modified counter-weight bar. All things considered it doesn't appear to be all that larger than the original EQ6. The build quality also didn't look too bad at all either - pretty good in fact - however - I am still not too sure whether folks who buy a circa 8-10k AP refractor such as in the pics would be using this particular mount.
I agree, If I could afford an AP, I would be buying an AP mount as well.

I was originally interested in the LX80 for my 80mm (currently using a crappy alt-az mount), as I like the az/equatorial design but the LX80 isn't getting good reviews. It appears to have very noisy slew motors as well. The EQ6GT may be a good alternative, however, it appears it will be much more expensive than the LX80, if the UK price of 1,489 English Pounds is any guide. But it definitely looks interesting.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:21 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Was in Bintel Sydney today and saw the mount in person. Looks very nice, in line with what you'd expect from Skywatcher if you're familiar with the standard EQ6 or HEQ5.

I asked the price and they said around $2300 or $2400. Hmm, I said, so maybe not an LX80-killer given the price difference. They said it IS an LX80-killer. Biggest problem may be getting one, but they are taking pre-orders.

It's also supposed to be a bit lighter than the EQ6 from what I've read.

I should have asked for more info but I was actually in the store to check out the new Delos range (came out with the new 14mm )

Morton
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

There is more in this from Cloudy Nights. The AZ EQ6 sounds better than the standard EQ6. http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../o/all/fpart/1
Matt
Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Had a look at the new EQ6 GT today and have to say that it is an impressive mount, for what it is, and definitely looks to be an LX80 killer.

It is interesting though that SW has put a lot of thought into this mount, but, and it is only a minor but, they haven't quite followed through with some finishing points. Such as, and I am not sure if this is because these are an early model and they wanted to get it to market, the counterweight shaft, unlike other SW mounts, isn't a chrome finish and appears to be just a plain metal shaft, which would be subject to rust, in time (unless kept well lubricated). Also, and this supports the idea that it they wanted to get to market quickly, it didn't have a manual.

A couple of other small bugs exist, but these do not appear to being a barrier to buying one.

I was impressed by this mount and will be buying one in the very near future, as I only want it primarily for a quick visual setup. One thing that was very interesting was the power lead-in is a screw fitting, thus considerably more secure.

Not that this means much, but I like it and I haven't previously been a fan of SW mounts.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 PM
blink138 (Pat)

the tripod looks a bit spindly!
pat
Old 08-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink138 View Post
the tripod looks a bit spindly!
pat
Pat, I think you're too used to your Losmandy mount

But, I do agree with you Pat, I think the tripod could have been bigger, but the tripod is probably adequate considering that it is only meant too be a lightweight mount.

If the mount performs as well as it looks, overcoming the issue with the tripod would be relatively easy anyway. Putting a heavier tripod on this mount would probably add too much to cost in any case.

Cheers Peter
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Germ

I saw this new mount in Sirius Optics this morning and was very impressed with the quality. Sirius has them in stock for $2250.00 but apparently they are in limited supply with no more until February. The manufacture is very neat and tidy, they have a DSLR port for imaging and all adjustment screws etc are very robust. I think I might have to get one.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Germ

I forgot to mention, that the counterweight shaft is an alloy and not steel so it should not have any problems.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Capricorn1(Tom)

Azeq6 gt dual mount

Steve form the ASRO SHOP has done a review on the product, see "New Products", then read "related document" on his web page.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn1(Tom) View Post
Steve form the ASRO SHOP has done a review on the product, see "New Products", then read "related document" on his web page.

Sounds very encouraging indeed.

Morton
Old 18-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Fox

Forgive me, ASRO shop? Thanks fox.

Ps, I think I found it, Astroshop.com.au?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Fox

There's finally a (very) short video of this mount on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrNtqNDVnXk

I have to say that it certainly looks beautiful in dual scope az-setup. Does anyone know if Bintel will be (does) sell these? Fox!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
naskies (Dave)

I like the idea of this mount a lot... I wonder if it is easy to convert between alt/az and equatorial modes easily while a scope is still attached?

My friends find looking through the scope in daytime to be rather entertaining, though it's tricky for them to navigate RA/Dec axes.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
I like the idea of this mount a lot... I wonder if it is easy to convert between alt/az and equatorial modes easily while a scope is still attached?

My friends find looking through the scope in daytime to be rather entertaining, though it's tricky for them to navigate RA/Dec axes.
Hi Dave,

I had a look at one of these at BTOW in Perth and it is quite easy to change from alt/az to equatorial, just unlock and turn a screw, which is fitted with a convenient handle. Just have to replace the dovetail bracket with counterweights. Easy as!

I was impressed with this mount and will be getting one from BTOW in the new year, just have to get through xmas first.

Cheers Peter