Old 17-09-2010, 07:34 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

Canon 50D

Hi all,

I know there's been threads on this subject before, but I'm interested in an update.

I'm upgrading my old Pentax K100D, and was considering getting a 50D (and 15-85 EF-S IS USM lens). Question is, how does this camera perform in long exposures for astrophotography, compared with something like a 40D? For instance, has anyone used the 50D for star trails with hundreds of 30sec exposures? Or would you recommend an alternative body? (I'm not really interested in movies, and would prefer a stronger built body, so I think the 50D would suit me better than the 550D.)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 17-09-2010, 08:31 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re 50D

Stephen,I have a 50D,and I would be happy to recommended it!

It takes a little while to get use to,but you will find it very useful-I have not used it for a great deal of astronomy yet,the astro work I have done with it has been good.

The lens you mention the 15-85 will be ideal for you and your camping trips and kids etc.

I got the 17-55 F 2.8 IS lens,as I wanted F 2.8,but did consider the 15-85.it very good,You will not go wrong gettting the combo you mention above.

The only thing,get it NOW!,I think they now have discontinued 50D,and the prices the had them for while still available was very good! around $1000!

I was nearly thinking of buying a second as back up,I agree movie mode is something I did not want.the PS have movie mode for quick movies.

hope this helps.cheers Chris
Old 18-09-2010, 03:31 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I think the 60D is coming out soon. Next couple of months? Might see the prices drop even more on the 50D if that's what you're after.

Andrew (astro_south) has a 50D and loves it. I know he's done some wide-field astro shots with it. Not sure about star trails. And you've seen his macro shots.
Old 18-09-2010, 09:48 AM
StephenM (Stephen)

Thanks guys! I'd pretty much made up my mind after lots of research on the web, but it's good to get some final feedback. D-D-Photographics have one one hold for me, which I'll hopefully pick up today. The price may drop further Troy, but fewer and fewer suppliers seem to have the 50D in stock so I've decided to grab it before it's too late.

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 18-09-2010, 07:11 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Might see the prices drop even more on the 50D
The price actually dropped a bit overnight Troy! I picked up the 50D body for $899 today, which I'm pretty happy about! And it was the third-last one that D-D-P had.

And of course their forecasting rain for the rest of the week, so I won't be able to to any widefield astro test shots for a while...

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 18-09-2010, 07:27 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

There ya go mate
Old 18-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Congrats, Stephen. A step in the right direction, I'd say. You'll be overwhelmed at what you'll be able to do now with a nice piece of kit.

Your wallet is going to feel ever so light when you start purchasing L-series glass. It's worth every single cent, no matter what anyone says.

H
Old 18-09-2010, 08:39 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

LOL yeah, now come back and ask us about which lenses.
Old 19-09-2010, 07:41 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re 50D purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Congrats, Stephen. A step in the right direction, I'd say. You'll be overwhelmed at what you'll be able to do now with a nice piece of kit.

Your wallet is going to feel ever so light when you start purchasing L-series glass. It's worth every single cent, no matter what anyone says.

H
+1 the above!well done Stephen!

Once you buy an 'L' there's no going back!,also some of the high end EF-S lenses are very close to the 'L' grade and are well worth the money,even though some of the are more expensive tan than the 'L'

I notice you do a bit of macro,may I suggest the 60 mm F 2.8,my neighbour recently bought a Canon 50D too,and I showed her results from 60 mm macro,and I also suggested the EF-S 100 mm F 2.8 macro,as she wanted to get started with macro.

She did not have a dedicated flash,but only enough money to buy the 100 mm macro and no flash or other bits.

In the end she chose the 60 mm macro and the EX 430II flash and the hood and some filters.so as to get a 'kit'.The 60 mm can also be used for everyday stuff,possibly a bit more so than the 100 mm.Hope this might help.

Anyhow,well done,mate!Chris

Last edited by hotspur; 19-09-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 19-09-2010, 05:49 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

Thanks guys!

I picked up the 15-85 EF-S IS USM with the body, and this has pretty much exhausted by photography budget for the time being, so I don't thing I'll be adding any further lenses in the near future. The Tamron 90 macro sounds appealling down the track (thanks for the review in the other thread Troy!), but for now I'll keep using the K100D for macro.

Now I just need the weather to improve so I can get out there and start shooting!

Cheers,
Stephen