Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 AM
mbaddah (Mo)

Can live view on a SLR replace guide scope/camera?

Hey...

I am about to begin my journey on astrophotography (slowly purchasing equipment) and was wondering if it's possible for an SLR's Live View feature to replace guide scope and guide camera? i.e. Is it possible to astrophotograph using a single refractor with an SLR which has live view?

Help would be greatly appreciated thankyou
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Short answer...no......in the future....maybe. I guess it depends on if someone want's to take the time to work out how to do it. There is no software that I'm aware of atm that will do the job. If it's possible to take the live view out through the AV port of the camera and use that then I guess maybe it would be possible.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

If you mean can you record the image AND guide simultaneously, I believe that the answer is no.

On my Canon 40D, whilst Live View is active, you cannot be recording an image at the same time. As soon as you press the shutter release (manually or via the EOS Utility software) then the Live View mode changes to image capture mode and the Live View LCD panel goes blank, Live View only re-appearing once the exposure (and dark frame) has been recorded.

On the SBIG dual chip CCD cameras, the (larger) imaging chip and the (smaller) auto guiding chip are two separate chips; one is dedicated to recording the image, the other to auto guiding on a guide star.

The Canon 40D only has a single sensor, so when it is recording an image, it can’t do anything else.

Cheers

Dennis