ICEINSPACE
Most Read Articles
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON Waxing Crescent
33.2%
The Sun Now
Time Zones
Sydney*
6:07 am
Perth
3:07 am
Auckland*
8:07 am
New York
2:07 pm
Paris
8:07 pm
GMT
7:07 pm




Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 16-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 115
A Question About Meade 30mm UWA - Saxon 30mm SWA

After having a Meade Series 5000 6.7mm UWA in my collection for some time now & liking it very much, when it finally came to deciding to upgrade my wideview eyepiece selection, I decided I would hunt down more of these.

I am aware they are not produced anymore but, was able to track down a new 20mm 2", s/h 14mm 1.25" & a new 8.8mm 1.25".

I would like to try & find a 30mm 2" version but, they haven't been producing them for quite a long time now so, finding them new is practically impossible & finding one secondhand hasn't seemed any easier.

What I have found is a Saxon 30mm SWA 82 degree eyepiece that at least cosmetically seems well, pretty much identical (Pictures below of the two versions - you will at least see the cosmetic resemblance).

Saxon describes it's eyepiece as: 'Fully-multicoated, 8 element design with blackened lens edges, Saxon 30mm 2" (82 degree) SWA Eyepiece offers improved clarity, contrast and resolution'

I haven't really been able to find the Meade description of it's 30mm 2" eyepiece so, it's hard to compare if they are in fact one & the same.

Does anyone know?
Has anyone used the Saxon 30mm 2" SWA?

Any assistance or advice on this question will be gratefully accepted... of course, if someone has a second hand Meade Series 5000 UWA they'd like to part with, then please let me know.

Thankyou in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Meade 30mm.jpg)
4.5 KB10 views
Click for full-size image (Saxon.jpg)
3.9 KB11 views

Last edited by Outcast; 17-10-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17-10-2018, 08:40 PM
MattT's Avatar
MattT (Matthew)
Reflecting on Refracting

MattT is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,188
Looks like the same thing to me. Explore Scientific 30 82 is the same Optics as the Meade. I have had the ES 30 82 and Nagler 31.... not much difference.

This thread might be of some interest http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=169449

The Saxon looks not bad at that price, as long as you can return it if itís a dud.

Iíd wait for a used ES 30 82 to turn up or place a wanted ad, instead of buying the Meade/Saxon.

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 115
Thanks Matt,

I might enquire about the 'dude return policy.

& also keep an eye out for the ES, I have to say the Meade 20mm is insanely large & heavy... reminiscent of the holy handgrenade of Antioch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Looks like the same thing to me. Explore Scientific 30 82 is the same Optics as the Meade. I have had the ES 30 82 and Nagler 31.... not much difference.

This thread might be of some interest http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=169449

The Saxon looks not bad at that price, as long as you can return it if itís a dud.

Iíd wait for a used ES 30 82 to turn up or place a wanted ad, instead of buying the Meade/Saxon.

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Derek Klepp's Avatar
Derek Klepp
Registered User

Derek Klepp is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NE NSW
Posts: 2,107
Carlton I have those Meade eyepieces and the bigger mag pieces suc as the 6.7 are superb. the 24 and 30 are just to big. I also have a Vixen 42 mm which is by far the best wide angle eyepiece I have especially for colour rendition in stars.Those bigger Meadeís are no good if you have a l0-16Ē dob as they are just to cumbersome.Over the years I have discovered that there is no one best set of eyepieces and that a combination of various brands ends up being used depending on the target.Meade also used to have a 56mm plossl which is a great eyepiece if you can get hold of one.
Hope this is of some help.
Derek
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-10-2018, 05:43 PM
MattT's Avatar
MattT (Matthew)
Reflecting on Refracting

MattT is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,188
Alternatives are ES 34 68 degree or better yet a used Panoptic 35.

Panoptics are my final choice in the wide field realm....tried and donít like 82ís and 100 degree offerings.

ES 68ís are a close second....quite close.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 115
Hi Derek,

I've had the 6.7mm version for about 5 years now & agree it is indeed superb which, is why i wanted more of them. I was rather shocked when i received the 20mm, its frigging huge!! Fortunately it will be going into the back of an SCT once i receive my 2" diagonal fm Bintel. Ill see how it goes i guess.

Thanks for your advice, it all helps in making informed choices.

Cheers

Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Klepp View Post
Carlton I have those Meade eyepieces and the bigger mag pieces suc as the 6.7 are superb. the 24 and 30 are just to big. I also have a Vixen 42 mm which is by far the best wide angle eyepiece I have especially for colour rendition in stars.Those bigger Meadeís are no good if you have a l0-16Ē dob as they are just to cumbersome.Over the years I have discovered that there is no one best set of eyepieces and that a combination of various brands ends up being used depending on the target.Meade also used to have a 56mm plossl which is a great eyepiece if you can get hold of one.
Hope this is of some help.
Derek
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 115
Thanks Matt,

I will be keeping a close eye on the classifieds

Cheers

Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Alternatives are ES 34 68 degree or better yet a used Panoptic 35.

Panoptics are my final choice in the wide field realm....tried and donít like 82ís and 100 degree offerings.

ES 68ís are a close second....quite close.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19-10-2018, 08:22 PM
ngcles's Avatar
ngcles
The Observologist

ngcles is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Billimari, NSW Central West
Posts: 1,487
Hi Carlton,

For the last 20 years, the only eyepieces in my case have been Televue. I think they are simply superb -- until recently, when I purchased an Explore Scientific 30mm/82. This eyepiece is essentially the same as the 30mm Meade Series 5000 that are now practically unobtainable.

To be honest, I anticipated it might well be a good, even very good performer after many nights now, I'd say it is a superb eyepiece with excellent colour correction, excellent coatings and performance at the edge of field is on-par with the 31mm T5. My purchase was 2nd hand, on this forum and the price was about 30% that of a new 31mm T5 and 50% that of a 2nd hand 31mm T5.
If you can find one, I'd certainly recommend you seriously consider it.
The one super wow was the box it came in -- a work of art but easily the biggest ep box I've ever seen. See image with $1- coin for scale.

Best,

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (38805224_10217380628254557_8813549732098998272_n.jpg)
48.0 KB10 views
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 115
I can relate to 'huge' eyepiece box.....

Below is the one the Meade 20mm came in... 10 cent piece for reference.

I will keep an eye out for the ES 30mm as well...

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Carlton,

For the last 20 years, the only eyepieces in my case have been Televue. I think they are simply superb -- until recently, when I purchased an Explore Scientific 30mm/82. This eyepiece is essentially the same as the 30mm Meade Series 5000 that are now practically unobtainable.

To be honest, I anticipated it might well be a good, even very good performer after many nights now, I'd say it is a superb eyepiece with excellent colour correction, excellent coatings and performance at the edge of field is on-par with the 31mm T5. My purchase was 2nd hand, on this forum and the price was about 30% that of a new 31mm T5 and 50% that of a 2nd hand 31mm T5.
If you can find one, I'd certainly recommend you seriously consider it.
The one super wow was the box it came in -- a work of art but easily the biggest ep box I've ever seen. See image with $1- coin for scale.

Best,

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20181021_082545 (002).jpg)
194.1 KB3 views
Click for full-size image (20181021_082502 (002).jpg)
148.5 KB3 views
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 05:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
SkyWatcher WiFi Adaptor
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Atik Horizon
Advertisement
Interest Free Finance
Advertisement
FLI Cameras and Imaging Accessories
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
SkyWatcher 2018 Catalogue
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement