Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 13-01-2024, 09:42 AM
Wombat (Wayne)

Pentax K3 MKIII Monochrome dslr

Hello,
Is anyone using the Pentax K3 monochrome for astrophotography?
I bought one before xmas and is a great camera for general photography and I have tried it for astro work and it is not to bad to use for astro work although there are some limitations to using it.
Pentax use to sell software for this camera and their other dslr cameras but they have stopped producing it even though they still do updates for that software, that could be because a lot of dslr's sold today have Bluetooth and WIFI built in. There is an app for the K3 that I have used for the astro work and that does work great except you can't do the bulb setting and you can only get a maximum of 30 secs in the manual setting and can adjust certain settings such as iso. The app supports Bluetooth and WIFI.

To test the sensitivity of the camera I took a guided 30 sec shot of the Witch Head Nebula, no filters, 55mm lens, once the image downloaded to phone the only thing I could see was stars. After processing photoshop I surprised to see the Witch Head, several more images stacked I think would have given a great result.
If the camera was supported by software something like Backyard EOS would make it great.
Anyway I like the camera and I intend do some more astro work with it.
Regards,
Old 13-01-2024, 11:28 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentax Australia
Exposure Mode
Scene Analyze Auto, Program, Sensitivity Priority, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Shutter & Aperture Priority, Manual, Bulb, Flash X-sync Speed, USER1, USER2, USER3, USER4, USER5

It seems the camera is capable of bulb exposure, is there another way to trigger the shutter with an intervalometer or something which will give you access to bulb exposure?
Old 14-01-2024, 09:35 AM
BuyoTheAstroCat

there is a way to get upto 5 min exposure in bulb. (on the KP anyway)
when in B mode, press the green button and that will allow you to set the exposure time up 5 min.

However, there isnt any software (like NINA, backyardEOS, ASIAIR) that can be used to control image capturing to a computer. so it is not possible to platesolve nor dither
Old 14-01-2024, 11:59 AM
Wombat (Wayne)

K3 mono

I can use a cable release to do bulb exposure. As far as I know Pentax don't have an interval meter for this camera.
It would be great to get a copy of the pentax software which could be pain getting it from an individual overseas, would be nice to purchase a copy from someone here Australia.
PK Tether can run older pentax dslr's but not the latest cams.
Old 14-01-2024, 03:23 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I searched for software and while it's not Pentax software directly there's a discussion on the following Pentax forum:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...k3-3-mono.html

It may or may not help.
Old 15-01-2024, 12:13 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
I can use a cable release to do bulb exposure. As far as I know Pentax don't have an interval meter for this camera.
It would be great to get a copy of the pentax software which could be pain getting it from an individual overseas, would be nice to purchase a copy from someone here Australia.
PK Tether can run older pentax dslr's but not the latest cams.
You can buy a $30 intervalometer on eBay. I use a Pentax K1 extensively for astro. The shutter release is the Canon E3 type. This will work with your camera:-
http://tinyurl.com/2b2nnh9h

The bulb settings can be set up to 20 mins although hot pixels dominate in really long exposures.
If I am doing 2 min subs without in camera noise subtraction:
I set the camera bulb exposure to 2 mins
I set the interval to 2 mins 5s
I set the length of shutter press to 5s

The camera will take back to back exposures 2mins with a 10s gap between exposures.

If using in-camera noise subtraction:
I set the camera bulb exposure to 2 mins
I set the interval to 4 mins 5s
I set the length of shutter press to 5s
The camera will take exposures 2mins long with a 2 min dark frame and with a 10s gap between exposures.

You don't want to have a computer tethered.

Let us know how good the H alpha sensitivity is on the K3 mono?

Joe
Old 15-01-2024, 07:20 AM
Wombat (Wayne)

K3

The software I would like to get a copy of is [Image Transmitter 2 for windows]. This is something like the canon control software for their cameras. It would enable focusing and checking images as they download to the computer, better than straining the back and neck looking at the back of the camera to check focusing and images.
If anyone has the Image Transmitter 2 software and can make a copy of it please send a pm.
And I look forward to trying the ha filter with this camera.
Old 15-01-2024, 12:28 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

This may only be an updater which may require the base software, I don't know:

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/engl...tter2_win.html

Ok, more research shows it's base software that has to be purchased.
Sorry!

$199US, bloody hard to find.
A copy of it likely won't work, not sure on an original CD because if it has a dedicated license number like most software once it's been registered it can't be used by anyone else.
I saw mention on some Pentax forums about CDs showing up on various eBay platforms around the world, apparently it seems hard to get hold of.

I have some time, I'll keep looking and see if I can find anything.

The following link is a review and also has links to purchase the software:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews...rformance.html

Last edited by Leo.G; 15-01-2024 at 12:42 PM.
Old 15-01-2024, 01:08 PM
BuyoTheAstroCat

Page 71 of the K-3 III manual - interval shooting
Page 51, Bulb setting, timed exposure. 1” to 20’00”

I use the KP and I do 180 sec exposures on with SWSA (unguided)
Old 17-01-2024, 07:44 AM
Wombat (Wayne)

K3

Thanks for the info Joe, I have a cable release that I sometimes use on the my 60 da camera and I tested it on the K3 mono and it works. The cable release came with an extension lead which is a great addition to the setup.
Would love to see a Backyard Pentax one day, wishful thinking.
Regards,
Old 17-01-2024, 01:48 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Thanks for the info Joe, I have a cable release that I sometimes use on the my 60 da camera and I tested it on the K3 mono and it works. The cable release came with an extension lead which is a great addition to the setup.
Would love to see a Backyard Pentax one day, wishful thinking.
Regards,
Hi Wayne,

The $30 intervalometer gives me a lot more flexibility. In winter I can even set up a whole run and go inside to stay warm or head over to my big dob and do visual.

My VC200L has a Vixen R&P focuser that doesn't slip and once the scope acclimatises, the focus doesn't shift. I do check the focus at change of targets. My k1 has a HDMI output so if you can't get the articulating screen into a comfortable position, you can relay the display to a HDMI monitor. I have an 11" car dvd monitors with HDMI input that only needs a 12V supply to operate. I find the articulating screen is pretty good and I very rarely use the external monitor.

The Pentax DA* 300mm f4 EDIF is an amazing lens for astro. Mine is pin sharp to the corners at f4. There is a bit of vignetting that can be flattened out but it is otherwise excellent. The 1970's Pentax M 50mm f1.7 is also excellent. Good at f2.8 with a little coma in the corners, and excellent/superb right to the corners at f4-f5.6.

Joe
Old 28-01-2024, 01:25 PM
Wombat (Wayne)

K3 Mono

I have just gotten hold of software for the K3 monochrome camera, [Image Transmitter 2], I tested the software and it works great.

It is similar to the software that comes with canon dslr's, you can adjust exposure times and settings and also has check boxes to let you save images to card slot 1 or 2 or both or to save to computer only. Did some tests in auto setting and bulb setting on the camera and it works very well.
Can't wait for moon to back off and the sky's to clear, only had a couple of clear nights this month.