Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 05-05-2020, 07:29 AM
HolyWars

cosmos 1980r/ SL - 16 R/B / NORAD19650

This morning I went out with my dob to do some Swan observing. At 5:31 am I saw what appeared to be 40-50 objects similar to a regular ISS flyover following the same orbit. They passed between Diphda in Cetus and Mars heading NE. Each were evenly spaced apart ~ 2-3 degrees and it lasted for about 5 minutes. I checked Stellarium and at this time satellite SL -16 R/B was shown to be flying over from SW to NE on the same path.

Has this satellite (rocket body) recently been struck by something by any chance, or have I just somehow never come across it? It was amazing!

https://heavens-above.com/satinfo.as...bjebcmigiladgb

https://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=19650
Old 05-05-2020, 10:34 AM
HolyWars

It's okay, I just worked it out. It was the StarLink sats that just happened to be at the same time and same orbit.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:42 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I was out imaging and observing C/2020 F8 this morning and at approx 5:30am ( will check the times on HeavensAbove later ) watched a flyover of a Starlink train. From SW to NE passing almost overhead, I counted at least 20 of them , spaced about 8 to 10 degrees apart and at about 2nd magnitude . Did look impressive until you realise what they could do to your imaging session. For me, luckily they didn't pass through the field of view .
Old 05-05-2020, 11:14 AM
HolyWars

They will be a nightmare if all planned end up being deployed. It was a great sight to see, but like you said, when you realise what it could mean, it's not so great.