Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 13-01-2021, 10:11 AM
pkinchington (Peter (Kanga))

First shot monoccd with nb filters -alignment?

I tried to image the Tarantula nebula using my mono camera for the first time. I got several 15m subs of Ha and Oiii. I am having difficulty aligning the channels/layers in photoshop. Any tips? Is there a simple effective program for aligning?

Cheers Kanga
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Tarantula-200kb.jpg)
188.3 KB65 views
Old 13-01-2021, 10:57 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

PS is good for post processing but you need a program to do a proper star alignment like DSS, PI, ccdstack or other. Having said that you have to refocus because your stars are donuts not discs.
Old 13-01-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
PS is good for post processing but you need a program to do a proper star alignment like DSS, PI, ccdstack or other. Having said that you have to refocus because your stars are donuts not discs.
Hi Marcus - I used DSS to stack Ha and Oiii subs separately then I tried to align them in PS. Can I stack Ha and Oiii together in DSS and get colour?
The Oiii subs were out of focus - even though NINA was meant to automatically refocus at the filter change - I also think there is some kind of internal reflection occuring due to the Oiii filter - any thoughts?
Cheers Kanga
Old 13-01-2021, 12:01 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinchington View Post
Hi Marcus - I used DSS to stack Ha and Oiii subs separately then I tried to align them in PS. Can I stack Ha and Oiii together in DSS and get colour?
The Oiii subs were out of focus - even though NINA was meant to automatically refocus at the filter change - I also think there is some kind of internal reflection occuring due to the Oiii filter - any thoughts?
Cheers Kanga
I don't use DSS but here's what I would try. Pick the best Ha sub as a reference then align all the other Ha and Oiii subs on that one. Save the individual subs then stack them separately so you get one Ha master and one Oiii master. They should already be aligned. Go to PS. Load the Ha and Oiii files in two separate layers. Create a third layer with a 50/50 Ha/Oiii blend. Map Ha to red, Ha/Oiii to green and Oiii to blue. You'll have a nice bicolor picture.
Old 13-01-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I don't use DSS but here's what I would try. Pick the best Ha sub as a reference then align all the other Ha and Oiii subs on that one. Save the individual subs then stack them separately so you get one Ha master and one Oiii master. They should already be aligned. Go to PS. Load the Ha and Oiii files in two separate layers. Create a third layer with a 50/50 Ha/Oiii blend. Map Ha to red, Ha/Oiii to green and Oiii to blue. You'll have a nice bicolor picture.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Kanga.
Old 14-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Peter, if you use Astropixel Processor it will calibrate, align, register & stack all your subs at once, then these stacks can easily be imported to PS.
It’s well worth the <$100 p/a
Old 14-01-2021, 05:17 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

+1
Also, You can use APP to combine your existing DSS stacks with a common reference frame in to a colour combination of your choice. Try all the different flavours in a trial copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Peter, if you use Astropixel Processor it will calibrate, align, register & stack all your subs at once, then these stacks can easily be imported to PS.
It’s well worth the <$100 p/a

Last edited by Sunfish; 14-01-2021 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Detail
Old 14-01-2021, 05:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Peter a few of us use StarTools and all are very happy. Not sure but I think its $60 ..I find it great for noise...I use gain you would not believe..like 350 even..Startools fixes it...You still need to use DSS but process each channel in StarTools.. when they are processed you simply use the RBG tool ..you put in the final image of each of four channels and it's done..as soon as you load your last image its done..its fantastic...you can adjust the ratios and the colour but I take the final to Photoshop to play around a bit..as you do.

Good luck
Alex
Old 15-01-2021, 01:42 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Peter a few of us use StarTools and all are very happy. Not sure but I think its $60 ..I find it great for noise...I use gain you would not believe..like 350 even..Startools fixes it...You still need to use DSS but process each channel in StarTools.. when they are processed you simply use the RBG tool ..you put in the final image of each of four channels and it's done..as soon as you load your last image its done..its fantastic...you can adjust the ratios and the colour but I take the final to Photoshop to play around a bit..as you do.

Good luck
Alex
I’ll second what Alex mentioned about Startools
I’ve used it exclusively for over 3 years and it’s a very powerful processing tool
No levels curves or histograms to worry about
It loves noisy data, eats noise for breakfast
Give it a trial
Cheers
Martin