Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 15-01-2021, 03:45 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

core temperatures

A late comment on Ken's post of 30/12/2020.

I find a more convenient way to display core temperatures in Ubuntu is the command "sensors"

The invocation and result is shown in the attachment. If you do not have "sensors"installed
sudo apt install lm-sensors
sudo autoremove

I installed it as running my multi threaded number crunching program all corers can go to high. So just tun down the number of threads to use.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (sensors.jpg)
52.4 KB18 views
Old 15-01-2021, 11:08 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Malcolm, that’s really interesting. I just switched the jumpers on the M.2 from the default to the “always on” setting and now the Pi/M.2 boots and runs just fine. The jumper controls the softswitch it seems and this lends strong support to your analysis.
Appreciate the feedback. I do not need it as yet. I am working on a different method of supply, just putting my modified rig through some simulation to check before placing outside.

Managed to strengthen the rig, built my DIY Tube Rings and mounted the RPi on top to reduce the cable run and be able to run the whole thing from a single supply. I now have only a single power cabling from the top right through to the tripod and cable snags are now a thing of the past.

Currently running everything from my Lab power supply drawing 1.57A from 12V that includes everything RPi, Camera, Mounts Focus motor. So I can get a very accurate supply requirements now.
One thing I find with Power Pack is the Current Rating are based on what? Battery Voltage, Output Voltage. Watt Hours is the best method for rating the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20210115_232052-1.jpg)
192.1 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (20210113_215852-2.jpg)
192.8 KB30 views
Old 16-01-2021, 06:46 AM
kens (Ken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
I now have only a single power cabling from the top right through to the tripod and cable snags are now a thing of the past.
You might be interested in my hack which was to fix a slip ring to a surplus polarscope adapter so the mount can rotate without any movement of the power cable. I also run a second Pi on the RA axis with the mount driver only. So the only bit of cable that moves is the power cable where it spans from the RA to Dec axis
Old 16-01-2021, 01:04 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
You might be interested in my hack which was to fix a slip ring to a surplus polarscope adapter so the mount can rotate without any movement of the power cable. I also run a second Pi on the RA axis with the mount driver only. So the only bit of cable that moves is the power cable where it spans from the RA to Dec axis
I had considered slip rings, but I decided not to over complicate the rig. I find now based on all the deflection I have reduce flexure massively in the new setup. Even the cables running past the Dec axis is few and very minimal deflectection. Also used a different alternative to Spiral wrap going for weave tubing instead.

I hope one day to post more information.

Run a full simulation last night with Astroberry with zero problems. Now taking a few more hours, then place it outside tomorrow.