Old 01-09-2021, 11:33 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Cracker of a nights imaging on the South Coast
Clear , good seeing , no dew , no wind , no moon
Just Beautiful !!
Old 01-09-2021, 11:45 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Not too shabby tonight. Hopefully the conditions hold tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2021-09-01-1040_8-U-RGB-Sat.jpg)
135.1 KB27 views
Old 02-09-2021, 01:51 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Yep, the seeing tonight is about as good as I've seen for here, steady most of the time but not as transparent as could be, probably due to the moist air from the coast. , I am only 3 blocks from the beach after all, no dew on the scope but the grass is wet. Fun evening gathering vids of Jupiter and Saturn, only with the 5" apo. Lots of processing for later today .
Old 02-09-2021, 07:38 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Yep, the seeing tonight is about as good as I've seen for here, steady most of the time but not as transparent as could be, probably due to the moist air from the coast. , I am only 3 blocks from the beach after all, no dew on the scope but the grass is wet. Fun evening gathering vids of Jupiter and Saturn, only with the 5" apo. Lots of processing for later today .
Tonight should be even better.

The sky was stable enough that I collimated my scope at the zenith on antares. At 8m fl. It was still easy to see the first diffraction ring so spent an hour or so taking care of that. Always had a slight trefoil when the secondary got cold and I assumed it was due to stress from the three collimation screws so I backed them all up iterating keeping the star in the center of the field with the IR filter. Sure enough it did the trick.

Earlier on I had a go at Mercury and another stab at Venus but the scope was still warm from the afternoon so I had to leave it pointing out to cool for a little while then tried again. I have to sort out all the data.

The conditions were great. I don't recall having air that stable while doing planetary. It is quite awesome to see a planet sitting still on the laptop screen. Makes focusing so much easier.

I collected so many streams I had to empty my laptop three times to the PC.

Last edited by multiweb; 02-09-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Looking good Marc. Hope tonight works out. That thin high cloud from all that hot air appears to be moisture in the CFN satellite. Made a mess of some subs.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Definitely moisture up there. Maybe it will dry up tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Old 02-09-2021, 12:10 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Definitely moisture up there. Maybe it will dry up tonight.
With the north east breeze blowing in here on the coast I think that there will be some moisture again tonight. Those of you further inland may only have some dew to cope with but it should be nice and steady again. An Europa shadow transit on Jupiter starting at 19:47 this evening may be worth an avi or two.
Still have lots of Gbs' from last night to sort through, the hard drive still has some space left.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:32 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I find nor’easters in Spring here on the coast not a problem as they tend to be drier than during Summer. It’s the ones in late January and February that I hate , full of moisture and salt
I’m 200m from the beach up on a hill
Fingers crossed for tonight , forecast is looking good
Old 02-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Not too shabby tonight. Hopefully the conditions hold tomorrow.

Great shot Marc!

Yeah the seeing was great last night but then some cloud started rolling in around 11pm. I got a couple of captures of Jupiter and good seeing makes everything so much easier.

It was very still last night too & it was just starting to get a bit dewy when I called it a night. It's a bit windy here at present so hopefully it will ease off after dark.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:49 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Great shot Marc!

Yeah the seeing was great last night but then some cloud started rolling in around 11pm. I got a couple of captures of Jupiter and good seeing makes everything so much easier.

It was very still last night too & it was just starting to get a bit dewy when I called it a night. It's a bit windy here at present so hopefully it will ease off after dark.
Good stuff Pete. Yeah it was a great evening but getting a little wet after midnight. I hope these clouds today will subsides this arvo for one more session tonight.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:21 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Sure was a pleasant night out. Bit windy tonight but perhaps the cloud will clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Cracker of a nights imaging on the South Coast
Clear , good seeing , no dew , no wind , no moon
Just Beautiful !!