Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-05-2015, 11:31 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

What recommendations do folk have on dehumidifers in astro labs?

Hi folks,

I am thinking of adding a dehumidifer to my astro lab and removing the pots of chemical dehumidifers I used to use. What recommendations do folk have on brands, sizes or types?

At present I was looking at a $199 16L Kogan based one that can be externally ducted - I could run it on a timer from say 3am - 4am (or is a different time better)?

I don't know if for preserving gear one should target a lower humidity (35%) than in say an office.

All advice very welcome!
Old 19-05-2015, 09:24 PM
SpaceNoob (Chris)
Atlas Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
Hi folks,

I am thinking of adding a dehumidifer to my astro lab and removing the pots of chemical dehumidifers I used to use. What recommendations do folk have on brands, sizes or types?

At present I was looking at a $199 16L Kogan based one that can be externally ducted - I could run it on a timer from say 3am - 4am (or is a different time better)?

I don't know if for preserving gear one should target a lower humidity (35%) than in say an office.

All advice very welcome!
Hi Matt,

I am using a "DELONGHI - DDS30COMBI - DEHUMIDIFIER".

I also pair it with a small oil heater to boost the temp to around 10deg C during the winter, just long enough for the dehumidifier to kick in and start dehumidifying / producing its own residue heat. If the temp is too low, which it often is here in Canberra during winter (my dome has been frozen lately), the dehumidifier will spend most of its time defrosting lol.

My setup turns on after an image run, usually around 5am and the heater is only used to get the temp right. I keep humidity at 50% constantly when not in use, it switches on occasionally during the day to "test" the air and turns off. During rainy weather it runs a fair bit.

The dehumidifier has a built in heater to get temps right but electric air heating is not overly efficient, the spare oil heater I had laying around uses minimal power and regulates itself, leaving the dehumidifier to do its job.

Just a word of caution, extremely dry air in the 35% and below range you mentioned, while good for optics, may not be so good for electronics. The dryer the air, the higher the sparking potential.