ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-04-2015, 07:20 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

SynScan HC Firmware

OK, having sorted my half working Hand Controller with a replacement screen I now feel brave enough to update the firmware cos I can see what I am doing at last.
Popped across to the website but boy it's a mess there. Files and stuff all over the place.

So what is the latest safe version to go for and I also saw something about a new procedure to follow to update. Any recommendations and\or things to watch out for ?
I'm currently on 3.28 IIRC.

(I'm always a bit leery about 'fixing' something that ain't really broken hence the cautionary questions )
Old 28-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I'd been using 3.35 for ages, which many used to curse, then recently 3.37 came out and I updated and it's served me well the past couple of nights, no gotchas so far.

What I usually do is make sure I've got a copy of the firmware files for the version I'm upgrading from so I can flash back if the new version sucks. I've only rolled back from 3.36, which screwed up my tracking during unguided exposures.
Old 28-04-2015, 11:46 PM
raymo

3.35 served me well also. Don't get a V.4 H/C unless you have no choice;
it sucks on several fronts, with only one slight improvement, and
several deprovements. [ I invented a new word].
raymo
Old 29-04-2015, 05:35 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Thanks guys, took another look at the website after my initial shock and confusion and managed to figure it out a bit. 3.37 it is.
Your advice checks out with what I've since downloaded and I've got the cable etc I used last time so I'll have a go tonight all being well.

What about this 'Over Voltage' fix ? Whats that all about ?
Old 29-04-2015, 09:48 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

yes took a look at the skywatcher page, it isn't as clear as it once was not that it was clear then

I'm currently running v3.36 and it seems to be going ok, I preferred the polar alignment routine in v3.35 way more forgiving - you nearly didn't even need a compass to get started.
Old 29-04-2015, 10:25 AM
andyc (Andy)

Could I add a question to Brent's - I have a similar quandary in the "not really broke but want to upgrade my Synscan" category...

For everyone who has upgraded a Synscan, did anyone use a connection to a laptop that didn't already have an RS-232 port? I bought a USB adapter, but couldn't get any software to allow the Synscan upgrading software to recognise that the hand controller was connected to the computer, or find enough information about how I can test that the adapter was installed properly. I probably didn't install the USB adapter correctly, but I'm at a loss as to how to do this right, so any tips would be gratefully received! Or should I just find a friend with a desktop that has an RS-232 port? (and apologies for tagging this onto Brent's thread).
Old 29-04-2015, 12:43 PM
raymo

I understood that Skywatcher mounts came with the RS 232 to USB
adaptor cable. I bought my mount used, and didn't realise that it didn't have one, so I bought one from my local Skywatcher dealer, plugged it
in, and everything worked fine. From memory, you do have to download the appropriate file from the SW website, or nothing will happen.
raymo
Old 29-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

My EQ6 came with RS232 to HC, so I use a Prolific serial to USB adapter that seems to work well. Not all adapters work unfortunately, which you'd think would be impossible given how simple serial is
Old 30-04-2015, 06:42 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I fortunately run my stuff on desktops which still have serial hardware. Unfortunately last night I couldn't find the 12 v cable I used last time to power the HC up. Probably in the Ob but it was wet and windy so maybe in the weekend.
Old 30-04-2015, 08:23 AM
andyc (Andy)

Thanks everyone, I'll follow up on the suggestions. Most likely is that the RS-232 to USB adapter is rubbish and so the drivers aren't working properly. I'll try get a hold of a better adapter. Never thought that RS-232 to usb would be complicated!
Old 30-04-2015, 07:54 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

USB connections can be tetchy sometimes. Have you tried another port on your PC ? On desktop PC's I find the front ports are normally underpowered but the rear seem to be better connected. No idea why this is but I have found similar situations on laptops.
(I support about 600 laptops and 500 desktops)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:20 AM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

3.37 appears to be pretty solid, I've had no issues with it so far but as Russ pointed out, the polar alignment routine is slightly different in latter versions and is not to everyone's taste.

As others have stated, USB to Serial can be temperamental at times and usually require the manufacturers drivers to work correctly (as opposed to the default Windows WHQL drivers which the OS installs by default).

Jaycar sell an inexpensive Prolific-based USB to RS232 cable which works fine for hand controller updates, I haven't tested it with other serial peripherals though.

If you're going to update the hand controller firmware, I suggest updating the motor controller firmware also.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:04 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Updated HC to 3.37 no problem. Good ol' COM1 hardware port and the 12v supply for the TEC Peltier. But the Mount motor firmware is only 1.500 so not upgradeable.
I assume this makes it an earlier version EQ6 Pro. All running OK so leave it alone I guess.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:08 PM
BPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
...[T]he Mount motor firmware is only 1.500 so not upgradeable. I assume this makes it an earlier version EQ6 Pro.
Yes. The latest is v2.04.00 and upgrade boards are available. I paid NZ$159 each (incl. GST) back in 2010 but have no idea what they cost now.
Old 19-05-2015, 10:13 AM
andyc (Andy)

Successful firmware upgrade

Just reporting a successful upgrade of my HEQ5 Pro firmware from 3.28 to 3.35 using my Windows 8 laptop. The solution for me was in the USB to serial adapter, the one I had wasn't any good. I acquired another one from Jaycar (this one, which I think Bintel also have for sale), installed the Prolific PL2303 driver (thanks Dunk!), got the relevant version of firmware, and it all went smoothly. I should also thank Michael at Bintel for helpful advice too, gave me enough confidence that I had everything in place, after reading a couple of horror stories of upgrades going wrong leading to a useless controller.

I got a few minutes to test it last night before the clouds filled in, and good polar alignment appears to be dreamily easy with the Polar realign actually working
Old 20-05-2015, 05:39 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
Just reporting a successful upgrade of my HEQ5 Pro firmware from 3.28 to 3.35 using my Windows 8 laptop. The solution for me was in the USB to serial adapter, the one I had wasn't any good. I acquired another one from Jaycar (this one, which I think Bintel also have for sale), installed the Prolific PL2303 driver (thanks Dunk!), got the relevant version of firmware, and it all went smoothly. I should also thank Michael at Bintel for helpful advice too, gave me enough confidence that I had everything in place, after reading a couple of horror stories of upgrades going wrong leading to a useless controller.

I got a few minutes to test it last night before the clouds filled in, and good polar alignment appears to be dreamily easy with the Polar realign actually working

'Phew !' eh ? Nice when it all comes together. I watched someone accidentally 'brick' a computer during a BIOS upgrade, not a good look. I'm always a cautious when I'm contemplating that sort of stuff too..
Old 20-05-2015, 08:56 AM
andyc (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
'Phew !' eh ? Nice when it all comes together. I watched someone accidentally 'brick' a computer during a BIOS upgrade, not a good look. I'm always a cautious when I'm contemplating that sort of stuff too..
Definitely! There was a good bit of going on when the progress bar started with "erasing ROM"...