Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes

Old 25-10-2017, 11:24 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Point Hicks Lighthouse

Like most lighthouses these days, the old light and lens has been abandoned for a small modern LED fitting - in this case on the balcony handrail.

Very pleasant accommodation (in shot), and single exposure of 30 secs @ f/4 with a Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 lens on a D750. This is the darkest sky I have seen for a long time, and what I believe to be the zodiacal light was clearly visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CJK_9623.jpg)
197.7 KB113 views
Old 27-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Chris, that's a lovely shot. Looks like a nice place to stay, great to get away from those city lights. I have tried to capture the stars and Cape Schanck lighthouse but it still uses the powerful beam and it sweeps out over the coast all night. Quite a hindrance actually so I guess the smaller LED light works to your advantage.

I always think of the Goodies when I hear of someone staying at a lighthouse.They responded to a job advert that read " some light house keeping" and got more than they bargained for!!
Old 27-10-2017, 03:11 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Chris, that's a lovely shot. Looks like a nice place to stay, great to get away from those city lights. I have tried to capture the stars and Cape Schanck lighthouse but it still uses the powerful beam and it sweeps out over the coast all night. Quite a hindrance actually so I guess the smaller LED light works to your advantage.

I always think of the Goodies when I hear of someone staying at a lighthouse.They responded to a job advert that read " some light house keeping" and got more than they bargained for!!
Thanks Michael.

There are two cottages that each sleep eight, and a bungalow also. The LED light is probably adequate, given GPS navigation these days, but a far cry from the 1,000,000 candle power installed.

I had a laugh at the Goodies line! Their day/night schedule might have been turned upside down.

Chris
Old 28-10-2017, 12:35 AM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

My good mate Tim is restoring old lighthouse lenses, not the new stuff
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-40887830
Old 28-10-2017, 01:05 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
My good mate Tim is restoring old lighthouse lenses, not the new stuff
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-40887830
Interesting article thanks David. Great to hear that the skills aren't being entirely lost.

At Point Hicks the light is a Chance Bros. 920 mm focal radius catadioptric producing 1,000,000 Cd from a 1,000 W globe. A thing of beauty....

For interest, although not a great pic, the new light comprises two tiers of ringed LEDs, producing a beam with vertical divergence of 2.5 degrees. Approx. 20 Watts total. It has about half the range of the Chance Bros. light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CJK_9727.jpg)
175.8 KB33 views