Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 24-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Terranova (Adrian)

using binos - pain in the neck - literally

Hi all,
got my new pair of Orion 7x50 the other day. I have a hand tremor so I've mounted it on my camera tripod that has a central column but no pan function. Anyway no matter how I set up the tripod, move it up or down, angle it whichever way, I cannot get a good view of the moon/Jupiter etc without cranking my neck into strained positions.
are there any practical solutions/ DYI options for making a suitable mount system that will help?

thanks
Adrian
Old 24-10-2020, 07:32 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

Hi Adrian, I have 8x56 binoculars and find laying down on a bean bag or banana lounge with cushions for extra support is a simple way to enjoy using binoculars and reduces strain on the neck but this idea on the link below seems very interesting, photo from link attached.

https://www.mpas.asn.au/tip-binochair.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (BinoChair1.jpg)
169.9 KB78 views
Old 25-10-2020, 07:31 PM
Terranova (Adrian)

Thanks mate. I'll try that.
I'm really interested in looking at the four moons of Jupiter but can't hold binos steady enough.
Old 25-10-2020, 07:32 PM
Terranova (Adrian)

BUMP
anyone else out there? Help very much appreciated.
Old 25-10-2020, 07:45 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

I concur with Wayne. Lying flat on your back with a pillow under your head, and a few other cushions/pillows to support your arms / binos is one way to go. Have the support pillows under your arms/elbows so there is no arm work other than basically resting the binos on your face.The other is to shell out a large handful of cash for a pair of Image Stabilized binos, which are the bees knees if you can afford them.
Old 25-10-2020, 08:25 PM
astro744

You need a parallelogram mount. Plenty of DIY plans online as well as commercial versions.
Old 26-10-2020, 08:51 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

When I seek to enjoy some bino time I just use my reclining camping chair. Its cheap, its comfortable, transportable and has a couple pockets to reach for my favorite beverage while cruising the skies.
Old 27-10-2020, 02:55 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

I just lift the whole tripod up and look at the sky.

But as your hand tremor may affect that, ideally one would have a tripod where one can easily raise and lower the central column with a rotating lever.

Then, while sitting on a stool, pull the tripod back to be on two legs and raise or lower the binoculars on the central column to match your eyes with wherever you are aiming. This means that you won't be straining your neck much. I do this all the time with my 25x100 binoculars and can aim pretty high in the sky (though not to overhead).

I also mount the binoculars backwards - that is - with pan handle aimed away from me, rather than digging into my chest.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited by Renato1; 27-10-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Hoges (John)

Perhaps try a first surface mirror - bino mount:https://firstsurfacemirror.com/binocular-mirror-mount/
Old 03-11-2020, 02:00 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

u need a tall tripod, hvt11 or the bigger one, go to 2m, then you can get underneath easily
Old 04-11-2020, 12:47 PM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Here's an elegant but expensive ( if bought commercially) solution to the problem of using the bigger binoculars .

You might successfully hand-hold a pair of 14x70s, but I have my doubts that anyone could view through 25x100s in a comfortable way.

This is a very xxxy commercial product, a parallelogram binocular mount, that left little or no change from 2K Ozzie dollars.

But it enables me to Move and to Point and to Support my 25x100s, and to view through them comfortably, with almost the same ease as if I was hand-holding a pair of 7x50s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200713_173320.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	267756

The 100mm Binos weigh 4 kilos, and at 25 power, you are essentially faced with the task of having to mount a telescope tube that gives a telescopic view; they function more like a telescope than anything else. So the main problem the user faces is " how on Earth can I actually use these things???"
Cheers,
madbadgalaxyman

Last edited by madbadgalaxyman; 04-11-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:24 PM
FI93 (Norm)

Another bino's no neck pain solution

Another method where you can be seated at a table with your tea/coffee at hand and no neck pain is to make a Mirror mount.
Plenty of mounts if you google and can be made in your garage in half a afternoon.
The big thing is the mirror MUST be a FIRST SURFACE mirror, you can go very expensive OPTICAL QUALITY or visit the Morebank supplier (whose daughter is a amatuer) who will get you a very decent mirror cut to size.
These mounts can be used for children up to 90 year olds, I mounted mine on a lazy suzan after putting a 150mm bearing underneath (cheap online).
my big bino's 20x100 where used by every child at a school astro night and they had it worked out inside 30 seconds.