Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 26-07-2019, 09:03 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)
Neo - as in Dr Neo Cortex

Starsense For Skywatcher - Does it work with Celestron Mounts

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea whether the Celestron Starsense for Skywatcher, is also usable with Celestron mounts ?

Reason I ask is that I have a 12" Dob, and have had nothing but problems. I was thinking of selling this, and going over to a Celestron scope/mount, and hoping that I could use the Starsense without the auxillary box that comes with the Skywatcher version.

Cheers,

Doc
Old 26-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I believe the handsets are not swappable you need one for each system, I asked OVL/Celestron and they said this
Old 26-07-2019, 09:16 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
I believe the handsets are not swappable you need one for each system, I asked OVL/Celestron and they said this
That is a pity. I thought perhaps the only difference would be the firmware. I still havn't found anyway to update the cameras firmware for the Skywatcher.

Is the Starsense for Celestron handset purchasable as a standalone ? EDIT: Found I can buy from overseas sites - I may try to flash the hand controller I have, see if it recognises it as a Celestron mount, and flashes accordingly, if not, I will have to buy the Celestron HC.

Last edited by DRCORTEX; 26-07-2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Extra Info
Old 27-07-2019, 12:29 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

I asked as I am getting the Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo Mount and already have the Star sense on my Celestron Edge HD

Have you asked the Australian Importers for Celestron/Skywatcher

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk...kywatcher.html
Old 27-07-2019, 06:47 AM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
I asked as I am getting the Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo Mount and already have the Star sense on my Celestron Edge HD

Have you asked the Australian Importers for Celestron/Skywatcher

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk...kywatcher.html

Apparently Tasco are now the distributors of Celestron equipment in Oz. I will give them a call on Monday.
Old 27-07-2019, 08:16 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Post this question on cloudy nights as well they have a greater number of users and may provide a real world solution
Old 27-07-2019, 09:09 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCORTEX View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea whether the Celestron Starsense for Skywatcher, is also usable with Celestron mounts ?

Reason I ask is that I have a 12" Dob, and have had nothing but problems. I was thinking of selling this, and going over to a Celestron scope/mount, and hoping that I could use the Starsense without the auxillary box that comes with the Skywatcher version.

Cheers,

Doc
Which Celestron mount are you considering?

I've used Starsense with Celestron AVX & CGEM mounts and it worked well. I now use the Skywatcher version of Starsense with an AZ-EQ6 and it also works fine.

I also have had various alt/az mounts but never bothered with Starsense on those as they are already very easy to align.

Given the exorbitant Australian price of Starsnese for Skywatcher, you may be able to sell it for the price of a new Celestron Starsense.
Old 27-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Tasco at Brookvale in Sydney is “Skywatcher Australia” not Celestron

Bintel is the main Celestron dealer in Australia

Try them

Speak to Don

Cheers
Old 27-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Hemi

Doc,

I have star sense for sky watcher and can confirm it works with both my azeq6 and my evolution. It comes with the starsense hand controller, which works on both. When you use it with the celestron mount you omit using the controller box. It’s a neat bit of kit....even works through ASCOM on the azeq6 using the Celestron driver, not through CPWI though I digress however.

For some reason the SW version was very expensive here in Oz, so I got it from FLO, worked out much cheaper. Not sure if that’s still the case but worth checking out.

Hemi
Old 27-07-2019, 12:05 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Doc,

I have star sense for sky watcher and can confirm it works with both my azeq6 and my evolution.
Hemi
I though that should be the case and thanks for confirming, in which case the adapter box is simply an add-on to the Celestron Starsense, allowing Starsense to work with Skywatcher mounts.

Last edited by casstony; 27-07-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 27-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I though that should be the case and thanks for confirming, in which case the adapter box is simply an add-on to the Celestron Starsense, allowing Starsense to work with Skywatcher mounts.

Yep that's what it does
Old 27-07-2019, 03:33 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Which Celestron mount are you considering?

I've used Starsense with Celestron AVX & CGEM mounts and it worked well. I now use the Skywatcher version of Starsense with an AZ-EQ6 and it also works fine.

I also have had various alt/az mounts but never bothered with Starsense on those as they are already very easy to align.

Given the exorbitant Australian price of Starsnese for Skywatcher, you may be able to sell it for the price of a new Celestron Starsense.
Interesting you say that, I was looking also at the AZ EQ6 GT, as I have the Skywatcher Starsense. Seemed the best of both worlds, AZ for visual, and some basic CCD imaging, followed up with some more serious imaging in the future. To tell you the truth, I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I am looking at the moment at an 8SE, but it will be a pain if I want to get into more serious things. More worried, that the Skywatcher Starsense I bought is a dud - purchased from the U.S. via Amazon for far less than the cost here.

Cheers,

DOC
Old 27-07-2019, 03:51 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Thanks for that, would you happen to know whether the Camera itself requires a flash upgrade ? I have been able to flash the Starsense HC easily enough, but with Starwatcher mounts, I have no idea. Searched everywhere.
Some say there is no need to flash the camera itself ?

I am definitely leaning towards getting the AZEQ6 GT now - if only I can prove this Starsense actually works. Beginning to think it is the DOB mount, but I was going purple watching my mount look for stars 40 degrees below the meridian - a manual starsense alignment returns stars everywhere I pointed, but continually, after the final alignment, a dreaded "alignment not good enough"

Cheers,

DOC
Old 27-07-2019, 04:45 PM
casstony

I'd say the most likely explanation for your problem is an error with setup. I use the Celestron Skysync GPS with my AZ-EQ6/Starsense so there's no need to enter any data at start up.

I once owned a second hand starsense purchased from a guy who moved here from the UK - didn't matter that it had UK location entered, it still got the correct data from the GPS module.(you have to select GPS as the source for time/date).

I haven't updated my Starsense for Skywatcher so I don't know about flashing the camera.

If you purchase a new mount the shop may have a demo model you could try your starsense on prior to purchase - they might be able to help figure out if you've made any errors with the handset or if the unit is faulty.
Old 27-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Thanks for that, would you happen to know whether the Camera itself requires a flash upgrade ? I have been able to flash the Starsense HC easily enough, but with Starwatcher mounts, I have no idea. Searched everywhere.
Some say there is no need to flash the camera itself ?

I am definitely leaning towards getting the AZEQ6 GT now - if only I can prove this Starsense actually works. Beginning to think it is the DOB mount, but I was going purple watching my mount look for stars 40 degrees below the meridian - a manual starsense alignment returns stars everywhere I pointed, but continually, after the final alignment, a dreaded "alignment not good enough"

Cheers,

DOC
Be very careful if you attempt to flash your camera, I somehow burnt mine out using the wrong usb cord, no idea how it happened but it did...
Old 27-07-2019, 06:20 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
I'd say the most likely explanation for your problem is an error with setup. I use the Celestron Skysync GPS with my AZ-EQ6/Starsense so there's no need to enter any data at start up.

I once owned a second hand starsense purchased from a guy who moved here from the UK - didn't matter that it had UK location entered, it still got the correct data from the GPS module.(you have to select GPS as the source for time/date).

I haven't updated my Starsense for Skywatcher so I don't know about flashing the camera.

If you purchase a new mount the shop may have a demo model you could try your starsense on prior to purchase - they might be able to help figure out if you've made any errors with the handset or if the unit is faulty.
I have arranged a few scopes/mounts for Tuesday, and will be taking the Starsense for Skywatcher in, however, it won't really prove anything if it isn't under dark skies. It will get into - it's a Celstron product, or - it's a Skywatcher product. They simply don't work together to better, each of there products. They may as well be making condoms.

I also have a Celestron GPS - that's another story, the dates it throws out are ridiculous, give correct lat/lon, then mount just goes haywire.

At the point, where I feel, just buy from one manufacturer, only the one to ***** about then

Cheers,

DOC
Old 27-07-2019, 06:24 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Be very careful if you attempt to flash your camera, I somehow burnt mine out using the wrong usb cord, no idea how it happened but it did...
I am impressed that the laptop/pc, actually even detected it. Mine doesn't. It detects the HC, not the Camera

Cheers,

DOC
Old 27-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
I am impressed that the laptop/pc, actually even detected it. Mine doesn't. It detects the HC, not the Camera

Cheers,

DOC
It didn't detect the camera just burned it out. There are no clear instructions even on the celestron site how to update the camera
Old 27-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Doc,

I have star sense for sky watcher and can confirm it works with both my azeq6 and my evolution. It comes with the starsense hand controller, which works on both. When you use it with the celestron mount you omit using the controller box. It’s a neat bit of kit....even works through ASCOM on the azeq6 using the Celestron driver, not through CPWI though I digress however.

For some reason the SW version was very expensive here in Oz, so I got it from FLO, worked out much cheaper. Not sure if that’s still the case but worth checking out.

Hemi
He asked if the Celestron one worked with the Skywatcher, it does not you need the Skywatcher one on its own
Old 28-07-2019, 01:17 AM
Hemi

Jeremy,

Best read Docs first post again.....Doc asked if the starsense for Sky watcher worked with celestron mounts...I confirmed that it did.

Cheers

Hemi