Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Light Pollution Filters.

I'm looking at getting a Pollution Filter for the camera as all the images I've been taking have a redish glow to them from the beacons nearby.

I'm tossing up between a 2" and an EOS clip. Are there any draw backs to using a clip filter. Can I only use one? I figured it would protect the guts of the camera during long exposures and I can't see it being removed any time soon if at all. Plus I already have 1.25" filters for visual.

Have I missed anything?

I'm looking at an Astronomik CLS Light Pollution Filter - Canon EOS Clip.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Hi robin, I would have gone for the in camera filter except for the fact I use the camera a lot for non astro work. If your camera is mainly for astro and you plan to use a range of lenses as well as scopes I think the in camera filter would be the best bet. Have u considered the Hutech IDAS-LPS in camera filter...pricier, but seems to get a better rap overall. cheers Rob
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Cheers rob, ordered the EOS clip and was clipped US$31 postage as well. I went cheap as I've ordered an eq6goto mount which needs to be paid for plus the tax man will be knocking on the door next month
Old 09-06-2008, 01:36 PM
TrevorW

With this what is the best filter to use on the camera lens to cut light pollution also does anyone know how to turn off or turn down the digital display you see through the viewfinder.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
Hi robin, I would have gone for the in camera filter except for the fact I use the camera a lot for non astro work. If your camera is mainly for astro and you plan to use a range of lenses as well as scopes I think the in camera filter would be the best bet. Have u considered the Hutech IDAS-LPS in camera filter...pricier, but seems to get a better rap overall. cheers Rob
Don't the IDAS dropin filters come out as easily as they fit in (under the lens) ? I thought they did so , if you have an EFS lens or are doing "normal" photography it's just as easy to get the IDAS filter out as was to install it.

Am I wrong on that ?

I too am considering getting a couple of IDAS filters for my 40D (a Ha and a LPF). I wont be modding the 40D , I'll simply use longer exposures with the Ha.