Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 AM
mozzie (Peter)

saturn storm

just finished a early morning session.rose around 2.00am the skies seemed clear but the seeing wasn't with the rain we've had light clouds kept coming over.anyway been awaiting saturday morning to try and see this saturn storm with saturn bouncing and bobbling around i had my work cut out.locking the primary mirror and using electric focuser has helped greatly using magnification from 102x to 530x over 3 odd hours i had some nice views of saturn with glimpses of near perfection the ring casting a beautiful shadow over the face.i thought that i seen some brightness toward the pole were the storm was around 4.45am with very averted vision but i could not be positive it was it.so seeing the storm didn't pop out for me maybe next time!!!!!!!!

did anybody else this morning with better skies get a view?????
Old 08-01-2011, 05:39 AM
jamespierce (James)

We were out from 4:45am til about 5:30am - The seeing here in Melbourne was pretty all over the place, getting worse and worse as the sun came up. I 'think' I saw some brightness towards the pole also however it was really hard to balance magnification vs contrast vs seeing. Really nice to see Saturn up again though.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Mozzie
Thanks for your report on Saturn. Ron had trouble seeing the storm as well , and so far I haven't come across (that I know of any) any visual observers who have. I'm very curious about this storm too so have been anxiously watching posts and asking questions about it. Keep trying and keep us informed .
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 AM
mozzie (Peter)

hi suzy
lets hope we get some clear weather !!!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Liz

Alas, clouds and storms here, but well done Mozzie and James for giving it a go, and .... maybe seeing it!!
Couple of days off now, so will check out the times, and see if the clouds cooperate.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 AM
mozzie (Peter)

hi liz
hope the weather clears,i had some pretty good skies on sat morning and it was difficult to spot i was also using filters 81 a,b,c for contrast but still struggled.still saturn looked beautiful.....