Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Observing report 8th Jan

During the week we evicted an old recliner from the lounge to the back veranda. It cost me all of $5 at a fete last year so it was never going to stay.

Last night was a beautiful clear night with not a breath of wind. Don't know why I didn't think of this before but I lined the recliner up with the milyway and sat down with the binos.

I spent several hours just scanning up and down the milyway from Crux through Carina and on trying to becoming more familiar with the area. I was practising locating objects I new like the Jewel box, Omega Centaurus, Eta Carina. On the way looking at some of the many clusters in the area.

It was one of those rare clear nights when it was clear enough to see the LMC unaided but I am yet to do this with the SMC.

$5 bino chair, the best accessory i've bought yet
Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

What a lovely way to spend an evening! A cruise with binoculars along the Milky Way is a true joy.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Rob_K

Excellent Michael! Fantastic way to spend an evening, cruising up and down the Milky Way with a pair of binocs! Gives you views you just can't get in a telescope.

Cheers -
Old 11-01-2010, 04:00 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

The next night was windy so no point setting the scope up. Out with the binos again. This time instead of working my way up (North) I took a right and went west and hopped my around to locate the SCP. This is just above my tree line so was not an easy find. I won't be rushing out to get an EQ mount any time soon.