Old 19-10-2009, 11:51 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Report from Adelaide

Tonight I made a start on a more systematic study of the southern sky. In the past I have used the Tour feature of the GOTO and jumped around everywhere. Nice to see things but very random and don't learn much.

After looking at various charts from books, software and Internet I settled on The Southern Sky Guide. After tonight I think this is a good match for suburban skies and my telescope Nexstar 80/900. It's not too cluttered but still has objects that will challenge me.

It was a clear mild night but seeing was nothing special. I setup in my backyard facing south and had picked out some targets from around the SCP.

I won't list specifics as I did not make notes (maybe next time). I was mainly targeting open and globular clusters with only one that I could not be sure I could see.

I will have to find darker skies to have a go at the Galaxies on the chart, there is not even a hint of them from home.

Finally I checked in on the Tarantula Nebula. It's still there and can be easily seen.

Michael.
Old 20-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Coen
"Doc"

'tis good to get out.

I have endeavoured to pick a constellation and using CNebulaX in conjunction with Taki's double star & deep sky atlases come up with a list of suitable objects to hunt down and write notes on. Learn a bit about a constellation that way, star hopping (I use the TriAtlas Hybrid set of maps) and brush up on the observing skills.

Regarding galaxies from suburban Adelaide, I'm on the northern side so I find the easiest ones to observe are: NGC 5128 aka the Hamburger, M83, NGC 253, NGC 55, NGC 300 is harder, M31 is big, M33 harder. There are a number of others but they do disappear into the background sky glow quickly being faint smudges.
Old 21-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Sounds like a very good approach Michael. Being a bit systematic will hone your observing skills very nicely.
Old 21-10-2009, 08:58 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coen View Post
'tis good to get out.

NGC 5128 aka the Hamburger, M83, NGC 253, NGC 55, NGC 300 is harder, M31 is big, M33 harder.
I don't really have a view north, M31 and company are just too low for me. I did try NGC 55 and 300 but not even a smudge.
Old 22-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Coen
"Doc"

I've picked up NGC 55 and 300 with a 70mm refractor, admittedly not well They are not exactly jumping out of the background but they are there. If I recall correctly, 55 was a lot easier than 300 as 300 is face on so its light is spread out.