Old 19-01-2013, 07:41 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Back on track

So finally the insurance picked up the bill. My SONY SLT A77V DSLR has been replaced and they covered most of the cost of the water damaged lens as well. For only a few $$ more I got a Tamron 18-200 Aspherical to replace the Sigma 28-105. Not a bad deal I reckon.
Now to get it all up and working again.
10" newt is back on the mount and the night would be clear but the sky is full of smoke from the other side of the Tasman. We're having the reddest sunsets I have seen in years from all the bush fires you guys are having. In fact it is so heavy that this evening you could look directly at the sun naked eye and see the edge of the disk !!
Hope you guys are alright cos that is scary !
Old 21-01-2013, 09:02 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Insurance has been back re the old camera. Looks like they might take $100 for it !! If they accept that then I've got a 24 mpixel DSLR that can be hacked purely for astro purposes. Really good option in my books. So it may fail one day and it is limited functionally in some areas .
I have an idea to cool it as well. The CCD is only milimetes away from the back cover under where the articulated screen would normally be closed into. Large flat area that could easily take a copper heat sink plate with some peltier cooling. I already have most of the bits. I see another project ahead hopefully, fingers crossed.