Old 10-01-2016, 10:28 AM
SuperG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Hmmmm
You seem to have moved away from the direct camera>guide port on mount using the ST-4 option....why?
The serial/ usb and the original upgrade cable will go to the handcontroller.
The only cable that goes to the guide port on the mount is the ST-4 guider cable.
Hi Merlin

Not matter what I did (several programs:Metaguide, PHD 1 and 3, maxim) the mount would not respond at all. I'm going to try USB, Serial and hand controller route. I think I need an ascom driver for the EQ5Pro GOTO now.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Sounds odd.....
If you use the handpaddle connection then I'd recommend using something like Cartes du Ciel and install EQMod/ ASCOM.
This will provide the necessary interface and ASCOM control you need.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:35 AM
glend (Glen)

This path your on can be very frustrating. Why not just use an Astro Devices wifi box that plugs into your hand controller and gives you Sky Safari Pro control via any Android or IOS tablrt or phone. Setting up ASCOM is one of the 'Dark Arts'.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:44 PM
SuperG

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
This path your on can be very frustrating. Why not just use an Astro Devices wifi box that plugs into your hand controller and gives you Sky Safari Pro control via any Android or IOS tablrt or phone. Setting up ASCOM is one of the 'Dark Arts'.
Hi Glen

By the sounds of it I should not bother with ASCOM. I might call Andrews or Bintel where I got the equipment for setup advice. From all the things I've tried I should have at least got a response from the mount in manual mode. I've used both methods recommended by ZWO for the ASI120MC. Even though technically the ST4 and RJ12 (6P6C) should be the same, I still suspect this is the issue.

I'm going to give up on the auto guiding for a couple of months, despite the outlay on the guide scope, and just try to get the best images I can unguided.

Thanks for all your suggestions people and I'm sure this will be a face palm moment when I resolve it.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:21 AM
kens (Ken)

Have you thought about using an EQDirect cable? Connects USB directly to the mount bypassing the hand controller. You do need ASCOM and EQMOD if you go that way.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:21 AM
SuperG

I remembered this one from the beginning of the year. I'd like to close it out. The problem came down to the RJ12 6P6C cables I was trying to use for ST4. The ST4 cable I later obtained, it turns out, crosses over from end to end whereas a straight RJ12 does not. That made all the difference with communication. The crossed cable works, the straight through does not.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Thanks for closing out with the solution! May come useful for someone later