ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2020, 11:46 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Southern Cross & Starlink 4

This morning I tried to capture the latest Starlink 4 train of satellites as they passed across the Southern Cross. I didn't quite get my camera set up correctly in time so this was the best I could do - the satellites appear as the smudge of light to the top left. The sky was quite bright as it was only 45 minutes before sunrise.

Seeing this train of lights in tight formation was without doubt the most spectacular phenomenon I have ever witnessed in the night sky, especially since each satellite "flared" brightly in succession as they reflected sunlight off their solar panels - like a series of fireworks going off !
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Starlink Trails_4958.jpg)
203.9 KB109 views
Old 01-02-2020, 01:19 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinKlein View Post
This morning I tried to capture the latest Starlink 4 train of satellites as they passed across the Southern Cross. I didn't quite get my camera set up correctly in time so this was the best I could do - the satellites appear as the smudge of light to the top left. The sky was quite bright as it was only 45 minutes before sunrise.

Seeing this train of lights in tight formation was without doubt the most spectacular phenomenon I have ever witnessed in the night sky, especially since each satellite "flared" brightly in succession as they reflected sunlight off their solar panels - like a series of fireworks going off !
Very nice. How do you find out when they will be visible? Is there a site that predicts it?

Greg.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:32 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Very nice. How do you find out when they will be visible? Is there a site that predicts it?

Greg.

Thanks Greg. Heavens-above.com got the prediction spot-on. Starlink 4 is on the main page.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:09 AM
gregbradley

That's great. Thanks Kelvin.

Greg.