Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2020, 12:12 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mc View Post
For the oldies.
We'll all be rooned said Hanrahan.
I remember having to learn that poem, back in grade 4 at school, in 1974.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:25 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodog View Post
I remember the bread being delivered by a Bakers cart... Just meters behind a horses a-se.

And I also had to attend 'Pox' parties, go to school with spotty kids one day and half the class would go missing for a fortnight next.

We'd walk in the rain, play in the dirt. Have our mothers use their hankie to wipe our faces.

Je-us we even ate with our hands sometimes. Remember 'Sunlight' soap? and oh for some 'Solvo" to take the skin off.

Food came in paper bags, meat wrapped in paper, as were the fish and chips for 20c. No plastic in sight.

How DID we survive all this??

Penicillin!!! It was the golden age where simple infections that could kill U quick in previous years were no longer an issue.

I had tetanus as a baby. I doubt that I would have survived if I had been born 20 years earlier.

BUT WE DID.
Penicillin!!! It was the golden age where simple infections that could kill U quick in previous years were no longer an issue.

I had tetanus when I was a month old. I doubt that I would have survived if I had been born 20 years earlier.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:24 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
No... The 1960's. Probably the time of your parents.

I state again,

We, and you, are still here.
But millions who died from many illnesses are not here or their offspring we may be but others are not
Old 07-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post

I had tetanus when I was a month old. I doubt that I would have survived if I had been born 20 years earlier.
100%

It is like saying "look how many survived WW1 and WW2 and not bothering to remember how many didn't !!!!

Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 AM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

OK, I am not against immunisation or personal hygiene. Both are important in stopping or slowing the spread of disease.

I am pointing out that nautural immunity exists and should be encouraged.
Our DNA has evolved due to the presures from virus.
It is arguable that we are who we are due to virus.

Think about the original bread situation, do you not think the same dirty hands finger the plastic wrapping? The same spitum hits the wrapper? Do the same germs not incubate on this plastic? Do the supermarkets have this bread on the shelves longer than "open" bread that will stale quickly, so it can gain more e coli?

Yet you have no problems picking up plastic wrapping even with its issues within the environment. This will create the bigger problems for us.

Thanks guys, I have enjoyed the discussion.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:30 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
OK, I am not against immunisation or personal hygiene. Both are important in stopping or slowing the spread of disease.

I am pointing out that nautural immunity exists and should be encouraged.
Our DNA has evolved due to the presures from virus.
It is arguable that we are who we are due to virus.

Think about the original bread situation, do you not think the same dirty hands finger the plastic wrapping? The same spitum hits the wrapper? Do the same germs not incubate on this plastic? Do the supermarkets have this bread on the shelves longer than "open" bread that will stale quickly, so it can gain more e coli?

Yet you have no problems picking up plastic wrapping even with its issues within the environment. This will create the bigger problems for us.

Thanks guys, I have enjoyed the discussion.
plastic wrapping of bread is automated