Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM
pw (Peter)

ZWO ASI120 camera on Bintel/GSO dobsonian?

The ZWO ASI120 cameras have a 2" step on the body that goes straight into a 2" focuser with no adapter, they also have a screw-in 1.25" nose piece to go into a 1.25" focuser.
Does anyone know if you can get focus with one of these cameras on a Bintel/GSO 8" dobsonian at prime focus?

I know I can't get enough inward travel with a DSLR or my CSC, but since these cameras ZWO are very shallow from mount to sensor I wondered if they might come to focus with the 2" part directly in the 2" focuser.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Didn't realise that the 2" step on the ZWO would go into a 2" focuser, is it long enough to be clamped securely.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 PM
pw (Peter)

Alan, I'm pretty sure that's the intent of the 2" section of the body. I reckon it would clamp safely, the compression ring on my 2" focuser is just below the top and would likely clamp the camera easily.
I just wish I tried it when I briefly had an ASI130MM, but since I'd bought it to use with my solar telescope via the c mount to 1.25" adapter I just didn't think to see whether it would come to focus on my dob.
I'm thinking of the ASI120 as a planetary camera since we have such a great display of planets at the moment.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:55 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Woah ! Cool, I diidn't know that. That might make a better solution on the 10" scope. New idea to play with.
Thanks