ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

M42 my first for this season

I've been picking up some data on this between other targets. We haven't seen much of M42 on the forum so I thought I'd post this.
It's 3Hrs of mixed exposures from 60 to 600 seconds in length acquired with SBIG 8300c using Nebulosity IV as usual, FLT 98 @F5, post processing in PS CS2, guiding with PHD.
Comments welcome & thanks for looking.
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42 FLT 98@F5_3hrs Binned60%.jpg)
196.2 KB112 views
Click for full-size image (M42 FLT 98@F5_3hrs Binned60%CYMK copy.jpg)
198.4 KB78 views

Last edited by Ant0nio; 03-11-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

And I think we won't see much more as folk will be intimidated by your excellence.

I think you can do better please try again I want better than perfect.

Mate that is beautiful.

Personally I would cheat and photo shop all six trap stars in...magic. I would love to see it as you see it one your monitor as it must be breathtaking.
Now don't get a swelled head ...better better better...you have to try harder.
Alex
Old 03-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Bloody nice work Tony.

There is an amazing amount of details in there.

I only hope that I can get close to this good sometime this season.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
And I think we won't see much more as folk will be intimidated by your excellence.

I think you can do better please try again I want better than perfect.

Mate that is beautiful.

Personally I would cheat and photo shop all six trap stars in...magic. I would love to see it as you see it one your monitor as it must be breathtaking.
Now don't get a swelled head ...better better better...you have to try harder.
Alex
Wow Alex, thank you for your glowing commendation. I'll have to learn how to do the layers thing to reveal the trap, but for now I posted a second version after tweaking the colour a bit. Thanks heaps for your kind words Alex.
Cheers,
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icearcher View Post
Bloody nice work Tony.

There is an amazing amount of details in there.

I only hope that I can get close to this good sometime this season.
Thanks very much Chris, I'm sure you're more than capable of doing it justice.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 03-11-2019, 08:02 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Tony
Beautiful M42 to start the summer Astro season off with a bang
Well done !!
Martin
Old 03-11-2019, 08:15 PM
RyanJones

Hi Tony,

Wow. I think that’s one of the most beautiful M42s I’ve even seen. Incredibly natural and beautifully processed. If I ever achieve an image like this I’ll be a pretty happy camper. Well done !

Ryan
Old 03-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Boy Tony, that's a beauty! If I ever get something close to that with my DSLR this season it'll go on my wall. Great capture and like others have said, nice detail. I prefer the first one as the second one looks a bit green to me. You certainly are staying up late until the wee hours of the morning to get that much of M42 but as they say …….the early bird catches the worm!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:06 AM
JohnF (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nio View Post
I've been picking up some data on this between other targets. We haven't seen much of M42 on the forum so I thought I'd post this.
It's 3Hrs of mixed exposures from 60 to 600 seconds in length acquired with SBIG 8300c using Nebulosity IV as usual, FLT 98 @F5, post processing in PS CS2, guiding with PHD.
Comments welcome & thanks for looking.
Tony
Beautiful picture of the Orion Nebulae. I have downloaded many pictures of this for my Astronomy in the Bible Powerpoint. It is one of the best I have seen.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I wonder who gave M42 or rather named the constalations Orion .. anyone know just how early?
I think ,John has something in the bible but so much of it comes from someplace earlier..I et the Sumarians..a years if I get time I will go d an answer if no one here has one...the Eygptians saw it as some sort of birth place which ironically the s out to be true with solar system disk's identified.
Alex

I am not even going to edit that so all can see how .y phone plays up.
Alez

Last edited by RB; 08-11-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:22 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Very Nice Tony
Old 04-11-2019, 02:46 PM
JohnF (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I wonder who gave M42 or rather named the constalations Orion .. anyone know just how early?
I think ,John has something in the bible but so much of it comes from someplace earlier..I et the Sumarians..a years if I get time I will go d an answer if no one here has one...the Eygptians saw it as some sort of birth place which ironically the s out to be true with solar system disk's identified.
Alex
In my Powerpoint on Astronomy in the Bible I have a a picture of a Statue of the Constellation of Orion said to be 35,000 years old -- Got it from Google Images.

Orion along with the Zodiac Constellations were very old.

I have book References that said the Zodiac was not named until around 350BC -- a number of references claiming that. BUT, I have a Picture of an Ancient Sumerian Zodiac on a clay Cylinder from around 4500BC on my Powerpoint -- got to learn how to upload these photos.

And that Ancient Sumerian Zodiac is much the same as our Zodiac of today. Here are the Ancient Sumerian name as well as the Current Names:--

•GU.AN.NA "The Steer of Heaven" (Taurus)
•MAŠ.TAB.BA.GAL.GAL “Great Twins" (Gemini)
•AL.LUL "The Crayfish" (Cancer)
•UR.GU.LA "The Lion" (Leo)
•AB.SIN "The Seed-Furrow" (Virgo, c.f. Isaiah 7:14)
•ZIB.BA.AN.NA/zi-ba-ni-tum "The Scales" (Libra)
•GIR.TAB "The Scorpion" (Scorpio)
•PA.BIL.SAG (Sagittarius)
•SUḪUR.MAŠ.KU "The Goat-Fish" (Capricorn)
•GU.LA "The Great One" (Aquarius)
•KUN.MEŠ "The tails" (Pices)
•LU.ḪUŊ.GA "The Agrarian Worker" (Aries)

And interestingly [something Atheists do not want people to know] many constellations were anciently known world wide. For example, the Northern Constellation Ursa Major -- the great bear was also known as the great bear among some tribes in the Americas before White man first visited the Americas.

Taurus and Orion [Noting the 4 Stars in the Belt of Orion] are found in cave paintings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/871930.stm

Wait a Minute, Orion has three stars in its belt, not 4 Stars in its belt as in this car painting ??

Well in my Powerpoint I explain that extra Star as an Ancient Recorded Supernova, recorded in Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts which are talking of a new star in Orion.

See my Outreach Program is not designed to be boring -- at least I hope it is not Boring. What I find interring may not suit everyone.

So Zodiac, especially Taurus as well as Orion are very old Alex -- I may disagree with given dates.

Oh and the Bible book of Job dates back to around 2000BC, to around the time of Abraham, the Second book of th Bible to be written, so that its mention of Pleiades, Orion and Arcturus, under their Hebrew names is as old, or at least nearly as Old, as this Ancient Sumerian Zodiac Cylinder mentioned below.

Last edited by RB; 08-11-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Picture perfect Ant!
That’s a glorious M42. I’m certainly not qualified in saying this but gee wizz that’s an invitation to join the heavy hitters in the deep space forum mate! Go on off you go.... hehehe...

You’re producing most excellent space images - credit to you

Anth
Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Tony
Beautiful M42 to start the summer Astro season off with a bang
Well done !!
Martin
Thanks Martin, hopefully we'll see more of good old M42 on the forum soon.
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Hi Tony,

Wow. I think that’s one of the most beautiful M42s I’ve even seen. Incredibly natural and beautifully processed. If I ever achieve an image like this I’ll be a pretty happy camper. Well done !Ryan
Thanks Ryan, I appreciate your comments on the processing, for the 3hrs of data the processing took me more than twice that amount of time. Still so much to learn. Thanks again,
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Boy Tony, that's a beauty! If I ever get something close to that with my DSLR this season it'll go on my wall. Great capture and like others have said, nice detail. I prefer the first one as the second one looks a bit green to me. You certainly are staying up late until the wee hours of the morning to get that much of M42 but as they say …….the early bird catches the worm!
Thank you Michael, I recall thinking the same thing about images you have posted also . Plenty of APOD's have been done with DSLR's so it must be achievable & M42 is getting to be in prime position. Your positive feedback is always a boost, thanks Mick. BTW I did a reprocess of M31 using CMYK.
Cheers,
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Beautiful picture of the Orion Nebulae. I have downloaded many pictures of this for my Astronomy in the Bible Powerpoint. It is one of the best I have seen.
Thank you John & thanks for posting some history on this DSO as well. Interesting stuff.
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Very Nice Tony
Thanks very much Col.
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Picture perfect Ant!
That’s a glorious M42. I’m certainly not qualified in saying this but gee wizz that’s an invitation to join the heavy hitters in the deep space forum mate! Go on off you go.... hehehe...

You’re producing most excellent space images - credit to you

Anth
Thanks Anthony, I've pondered the thought of whether to head to the main forum. At what point do you cease being a beginner? I still feel like a total noob to be honest. I make plenty of blunders behind the scenes & often wonder if I'll ever be the full bottle with this pursuit. I'm grateful for your generous comments in any case.
Tony