Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 PM
jet486

D70s

My brother has offered to sell his near new Nikon D70s 6.1 Megs DSLR to me for the purpose of astrophotography. Just two questions if I may: a/ Is this camera suitable for deep space objects and b/ is there a remote shutter release unit that allows the shutter to stay open to photo dso's.Cheers.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Gama

Borrow the camera, spend 15 bucks on a T ring, then try it.
Doesnt matter what anyone says about the quality of the image.
If your happy with it, then buy it.
Suitability is open to interpretation, but the upmost comment must be yours.
You can google the camera, as i have seen images from this model.

Decide for yourself.

theo.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 PM
jet486

Thanks theo. I start searching for the remote release.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 AM
bonox

you can use the electronic cable release (that includes a lock) that will let you hold the shutter open as long as you like until the batteries go flat. You can also use the much much cheaper IR cordless remotes. When set to bulb, the first press will open the shutter, press again and it will close. Cheap, and also means you don't have another damned wire hanging off the scope!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Cable release is available, however a problem you will bump into is amp noise. This will produce alarming amounts of noise on time exposures over a few minutes. You need the cable release for avoiding vibration but you will find the 30sec built in exposure is the practical limit. I have a D70s and am still trying to get the best from it, and I am sure I will get good results eventually but I wish I had a Canon. Most of the software available works much more readily with Canon gear rather than Nikon if at all.

Roger Cooper
Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
jet486

Thanks for your imput gentlemen, I have and purchase on e-bay a "Timer remote Shutter N2 made by Link Delight so hopefully this device will do the job. Thanks rogerco in explaining the problems you are having with the D70. Have I gone the wrong way? For the princely sum of $500 with two lens's I couldn't pass up this chance of having a good DSLR for the purpose of astrophotograhy.
Old 16-01-2008, 12:51 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

At that price at least you have a very nice DSLR camera which you will be very happy with for daytime photography and with a bit of effort it will give good results on the telescope. For software I would recomment Deep Sky Stacker it handles Nikon Raw files fine.

Roger