Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #21  
Old 09-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Waxing_Gibbous's Avatar
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Waxing_Gibbous is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Gippsland
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I saw the patent applications for four new Canon lenses yesterday.

14-24mm f/2.8L
24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM
60mm f/2.8 macro
70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

I'll be holding off any glass purchases until next year.

Regards,
Humayun
Stop! Just STOP!
I DO NOT want to know!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Benny L (Ben)
Registered User

Benny L is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carmel - Perth Hills
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxing_Gibbous View Post
Stop! Just STOP!
I DO NOT want to know!
indeed although that 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 would make a pretty nifty kit
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-12-2009, 05:54 AM
bojan's Avatar
bojan
amateur

bojan is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mt Waverley, VIC
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post

However, when it comes to terrestrial photography, it's one thing to look at the image on screen, and, something else to behold a large-format print on the wall. With modern sensors, it doesn't matter if you've used a high ISO rating on your camera, the print will still look sharp and beautiful.

Regards,
Humayun
Ok, maybe so...
I can see that I came from another planet
But then, I still can not see why you guys are prepared to spend k$ for something that is not so important , and quite immeasurable.

Last edited by bojan; 10-12-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-12-2009, 06:51 AM
troypiggo's Avatar
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

troypiggo is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 4,832
Do you say the same thing to people who purchase a TV Ethos eyepiece over some cheapie eyepiece?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 AM
bojan's Avatar
bojan
amateur

bojan is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mt Waverley, VIC
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Do you say the same thing to people who purchase a TV Ethos eyepiece over some cheapie eyepiece?
Not in general, because the ethos performance is MEASURABLE (FOV, eye relief, resolution, CA at edge etc), the result is expressed in numbers and the test can be repeated with specified accuracy any time and any place.
Then it is up to the individual to determine if the price is worth it or not.

However, if those numbers are the same for two similar product, and the price is vastly different, I will always say: "why waste money, the difference in price you can spend for something else.. You have more bang for the same buck this way".

Last edited by bojan; 10-12-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
hotspur's Avatar
hotspur (Chris)
Registered User

hotspur is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: south east QLD,Australia
Posts: 2,851
re lens purchase

MMM,all sounds a bit confusing!

Yes,i had heard of new releases next year.

I have just ordered 70 to 200 L non IS its $1660 delivered.

so it will have to do.

I was tempted by the F4 version,but after using the

400 L prime,which is an outstanding lens,its F5.6

and at times,felt like a lower F number.

I plan to us the 70 to 200 in low light situations on

some projects,thats why i chose it.

will see waht happins after i open the parcel!

i used one at astrofest,and results looked pretty darn sharp!

even using 1.4 tc on only a XXXD body.

thanks for interesting feed back,

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:16 AM
troypiggo's Avatar
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

troypiggo is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 4,832
I don't want to belabour the point, as we're getting way off poor old Chris' original post. The extra cost of some of these lenses is not just about image quality. It's also about sturdier build quality of the whole lens, weather proofing (some lenses), quality control, and not to mention market demands and some of those big expensive lenses look just plain sexy on the end of my camera.

It's why some people buy a BMW over a Hyundai. Both cars get you from A to B, but some prefer to pay a bit more to do it in style, comfort, quality, and power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Not in general, because the ethos performance is MEASURABLE (FOV, eye relief, resolution, CA at edge etc), the result is expressed in numbers and the test can be repeated with specified accuracy any time and any place.
Then it is up to the individual to determine if the price is worth it or not.

However, if those numbers are the same for two similar product, and the price is wastly different, I will always say: "why waste money, the difference in price you can spend for something else.. more bang for the same buck this way you have more bang".
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
bojan's Avatar
bojan
amateur

bojan is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mt Waverley, VIC
Posts: 5,967
I appreciate all what you are saying.. but I still do not understand why someone would pay 2X the price for brand only, and the same performance and quality of build.
That is why I insist on quantified performance items and full technical information.. and not "artistic" descriptions like we had before, which mean nothing really.
Maybe because I am engineer.. in my heart and soul :-)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM
troypiggo's Avatar
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

troypiggo is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 4,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
...
Maybe because I am engineer.. in my heart and soul :-)
I'm a structural engineer
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
bojan's Avatar
bojan
amateur

bojan is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mt Waverley, VIC
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I'm a structural engineer
Here you go
So you do understand my points, I have no doubt about it
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM
hotspur's Avatar
hotspur (Chris)
Registered User

hotspur is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: south east QLD,Australia
Posts: 2,851
r lens purchase

There is some interesting points some have bought up re spending,large

amounts on various lenses.All i can say the good optics are like/become

an old friend,have a really good one,and you will have it for life.sometimes one has optics that you feel,well i might let that one go.

Many years ago i bought a Leopold rifle scope,i cant remeber exactly how much i paid,it was a expensive one,but its been lying in storage,
occasionally it comes out,works well,i can put it away and think -i know

that tool does its job well,So to it is with camera lenses these 'L' lens
are like that too,i want to have confidence in the performance of the tool,i do'nt think these lenses are overpriced or over rated,they do
an exemplarary job,some of those black plastic lenses its like looking through the bottom of an old coke bottle.

I did think of buying the F4 version of the said lens,its very very good,and excellent value for money,But i felt that-i would be in the "darn i wish i bought the other one' club.The F2.8 factor is a major reason
for this lens,and i should be able to get some good astronomy pics.

One of the people in this thread has used this lens to discover a new comet!!!well done Terry-i found your article in old telescope magazine.

Thats amazing!!!

Last edited by hotspur; 10-12-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 PM
troypiggo's Avatar
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

troypiggo is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 4,832
Another consideration is that the L series lenses hold their value much better, so you don't lose as much as the standard ones. Choose a time when the Aussie dollar is down relative to the US dollar, and sell it on an international forum to someone in the US and you won't lose as much too
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 03:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement