#1  
Old 09-03-2018, 09:50 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 12,930
Where to buy a modded camera.

I would like a modded camera.
Not sure of the benefits but perhaps someone can help guide me here as well.
I have a Nikon D5500 and would like to buy on of these modded if possible and wonder if anyone can suggest a reputable reliable place to buy that have been good and helpful to you.
And what filters would be useful for such a modded camera.
All I am thinking even though a cooled astro camera and filter wheel is probably what I should be thinking of I think it would not be probaly best at the moment.
One feature of dslr for me is that I can run it on 30 second exposures so I dont have to set up guiding or the lap top...which is very handy at times.
I want to auto guide but being able to set up and take down fast is perhaps my biggest consideration for many reasons.
Thank you
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2018, 10:15 AM
glend (Glen)
Registered User

glend is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Macquarie
Posts: 5,346
Alex, the Nikon D5300 through D5600 actually are pretty good astro cameras without any mods, one reason being that they lack a typical anti-alysing filter, which gives a sharper image while avoiding moire patterns. The sensor efficency is also first class among DSLRs. Have you had a look at images produced by that camera on Astrobin?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2018, 11:39 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 12,930
Thanks Glen so I am already there with my D5500?
I saw some loverly astro photos on astro bin only the other day.☺
Thanks Glen.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2018, 11:56 AM
glend (Glen)
Registered User

glend is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Macquarie
Posts: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks Glen so I am already there with my D5500?
I saw some loverly astro photos on astro bin only the other day.☺
Thanks Glen.
Alex
I am not saying don't do it, just see how far you can go with the stock camera before you make that step. There is the cost of the mod, the smaller resale market down the track, and ruining daytime use unless you add back external filtration. The guys on the DSLR forum on CN can advise on who to send it to for an Ha mod.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Camelopardalis's Avatar
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Camelopardalis is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,663
Yeah I think that’s the same sensor as in my Fujifilm X-A3...in which case, I wouldn’t bother modding it.

Last year I remember it picking up Barnard’s Loop in 2 minute subs...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Tony_ (Tony)
Registered User

Tony_ is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 458
Hello Alex,

CentralDS in South Korea have modded cooled cameras at reasonable prices.

Regards,
Tony.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2018, 04:03 PM
glend (Glen)
Registered User

glend is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Macquarie
Posts: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_ View Post
Hello Alex,

CentralDS in South Korea have modded cooled cameras at reasonable prices.

Regards,
Tony.
What do you consider a reasonable price?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-2018, 05:13 PM
JA
.....

JA is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I have a Nikon D5500 and would like to buy on of these modded if possible and wonder if anyone can suggest a reputable reliable place to buy that have been good and helpful to you.
Hi Alex,

As an indication of price you can get a new Nikon D5600 body from $700 to $1000 depending upon where you'd like to shop in Australia. I can't comment on reputation or reliabilty,as requested, since I haven't shopped here, but as an indication of price here is a European (?) retailer that has modified D5600 cameras for the equivalent of $1830 (Ha Modified response) and $1980 (Full Spectrum Response).

For info....

https://www.astroshop.eu/digital-srl...d5600a/p,53133

Best
JA
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-03-2018, 06:46 PM
ZeroID's Avatar
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

ZeroID is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
.... One feature of dslr for me is that I can run it on 30 second exposures so I dont have to set up guiding or the lap top...which is very handy at times.....

Alex
Buy a remote control trigger, cable or wireless, set the camera to BULB and you can run any length exposure within reason.
That's how I kicked off this obsession ..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 12,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Buy a remote control trigger, cable or wireless, set the camera to BULB and you can run any length exposure within reason.
That's how I kicked off this obsession ..
I have the remote.
I like the 30 seconds because it runs unattended...if going past 30 sec. s you have to time it switch on and off etc...
However I used the remote computer control during testing and that works for me.
But there is not much motivation to go past 30 seconds here as the sky glow does not let you run for long.
Up home long exposure was limited by the mount but here after 30 seconds at 1600 the sky goes funny...

Anyways none of this will feed the starving folk in Africa.

alex
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-03-2018, 10:28 PM
OzEclipse's Avatar
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)
Registered User

OzEclipse is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 948
Alex,

There is an intervalometer called a Pixel TC-252. They're made for any camera.

Here is a version for your camera that costs $41 -
https://tinyurl.com/y92p9jbc

They have a number of modes. For astrophotographers they have an intervalometer mode.

Number of exposures . 0-9999
delay until first exposure 0-99h 99m 99s in 1s increments
interval between exposures 0-99h 99m 99s in 1s increments
length of shutter press at each exposure 0-99h 99m 99s in 1s increments

For example, you can set it to press the shutter 200 subs for 2 mins each at 5 min intervals. Leave the camera set to noise reduction on. Camera will take 2 min exposure, then 2 min dark, subtract the dark in camera and then write the file.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13-03-2018, 05:17 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 12,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Alex,

There is an intervalometer called a Pixel TC-252. They're made for any camera.

Here is a version for your camera that costs $41 -
https://tinyurl.com/y92p9jbc

They have a number of modes. For astrophotographers they have an intervalometer mode.

Number of exposures . 0-9999
delay until first exposure 0-99h 99m 99s in 1s increments
interval between exposures 0-99h 99m 99s in 1s increments
length of shutter press at each exposure 0-99h 99m 99s in 1s increments

For example, you can set it to press the shutter 200 subs for 2 mins each at 5 min intervals. Leave the camera set to noise reduction on. Camera will take 2 min exposure, then 2 min dark, subtract the dark in camera and then write the file.
Thanks Joe I appreciate your advice and will chase one of those down.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13-03-2018, 05:33 AM
h0ughy's Avatar
h0ughy (David)
DOGHOUSE REBORN

h0ughy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NEWCASTLE NSW Australia
Posts: 30,680
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=165352 there is one camera on the forum for sale now
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13-03-2018, 07:03 AM
bojan's Avatar
bojan
amateur

bojan is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mt Waverley, VIC
Posts: 5,966
Intervalometer for $15

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YongNuo-...YAAOSw0kNXhyzb
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13-03-2018, 08:31 AM
OzEclipse's Avatar
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)
Registered User

OzEclipse is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Bojan.
Thatís for a canon. Wonít work on Alexís Nikon D5500

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 13-03-2018, 09:19 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 12,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=165352 there is one camera on the forum for sale now
Thanks for pointing to that one.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 13-03-2018, 09:20 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 12,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Thanks for trying to help.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 13-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Camelopardalis's Avatar
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Camelopardalis is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,663
The Pixel intervalometer works well, I used one for a couple of years with my Canon before I moved to computer control (for better or worse!).

I’d imagine the difference is the cable from the intervalometer to the camera. You’d be welcome to mine if you sourced a cable for your Nikon, but I’d suspect that only comes with the remote itself.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 13-03-2018, 01:00 PM
OzEclipse's Avatar
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)
Registered User

OzEclipse is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
The Pixel intervalometer works well, I used one for a couple of years with my Canon before I moved to computer control (for better or worse!).

I’d imagine the difference is the cable from the intervalometer to the camera. You’d be welcome to mine if you sourced a cable for your Nikon, but I’d suspect that only comes with the remote itself.
Dunk, Alex,

You can buy the cables independent of the intervalometer for about $10 on ebay

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 13-03-2018, 01:21 PM
bojan's Avatar
bojan
amateur

bojan is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mt Waverley, VIC
Posts: 5,966
[quote]
Bojan.
That’s for a canon. Won’t work on Alex’s Nikon D5500

Joe
[quote/]

Difference is only in cable..
Here is version for Nikon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 04:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement