Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

DSLR advice

This topic has probably been covered - deep in the archives?
I currently use a unmodded Canon 550d with a 9.25sct on a CGEM.
I get occasional good photos and a lot of not so good ones. Noise is the main problem.
I'm thinking of getting new camera:
1. A used unmodded 40d (around $350-$400) - will this give much better photos than the 550d?
2. Either get a modded 40d or mod it myself (risky).
3. Get a new 60Da ($1600) - these seem a little overpriced compared to the standard 60d. Would the 60Da be better than a modded 40d?

I know astro CCDs will give the best photos - but I don't want to have to use a PC.
Also would an apo refractor say 110-120mm be a better option to the sct? Getting a good focus seems really hard - even with a Bahtinov mask.
Any advice?

Regards,
Tony.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Yeah, noise is a big issue with the 550Ds. (I have one) They work best once the temperature drops below 10C and when it get close to 0C it's in it's element. The images it produces during Winter are stunning.
I have a modded 20D that I can use during the warmer months so I'm covered all year round.

DSLR's seem to be make for the ED80 refractor.
The scope has a wonderful FOV and most of the big bright DSO's frame up beautifully in it.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

Thanks jjj,

I noticed the 550d is much better when it's cold - on warm summer nights the noise was a lot worse. So far this winter there have been few clear nights.
I still think I need a dslr with lower noise. I'm still wondering whether the cost of the 60Da is worth it compared to a modded 40d (or even an unmodded 40d). Does anyone know how these 2 cameras compare?
On one hand I don't want to spend $1600 on a 60Da - but on the other hand I don't want to buy a 40d and find out that I should have got the 60Da.

Regards,
Tony.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

As odd as this may be, i get great use out of my 1100d. Mind you i have only had a chance to use it in autumn/winter so i cant comment on summer experiences, but noise was fairly tame.

Modded it myself with instructions from Gary, so it set me back about $400 brand new.

See some details on it and other DSLR's here
http://ghonis2.ho8.com/T3review/T3review.html
It's very similar to the 450d in specs and noise is comparable.

Might be worth considering if you fancy your hand at modding it yourself (no additional parts needed).