Old 29-03-2010, 10:48 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Lunar sketch

I had a nice clear night tonight so I went out for a look at the moon. It's not quite full so there was still areas of interest along the terminator and I decided to try a sketch.

Here it is. c&c welcome. Be honest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2010-03-29.jpg)
169.3 KB42 views
Old 30-03-2010, 07:46 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi michaellxv,

I find the Moon one of the hardest objects to sketch. Such strong contrast along the terminator, and then such subtlety of shading. It really can be the stuff of where Angels fear to tread!

I find that to get a good representation you need to be just a subtle as a wrecking ball. But gradually. And with a selection of tools.

The trick, I find, is getting the balance between the greyness of our pencils with the blackness of the terminator. Good thing is that this can be done away from the eyepiece.

All I find to improve on your sketch is the strength of the Black. The details are there, but it is disjointed, just like my efforts have been.

Two suggestions:

1: Copy your sketch and, with a charcoal pencil, add the blackness of the terminator and the emptiness of space. The whiteness of the Moon should then really leap out. It really needs this punch. Even photo copy the sketch as this will make the copy more 'black' than grey- then add the charcoal.

The reason I suggest charoal is that it is black, not grey like graphite. Even a decent quality black colouring pencil to start with. Again, it is not grey, nor has that sheen.

2: Now, this one is really out there- Black Indian Ink. It will demand special paper selection so not to run and deform the paper, and a bit of practice to handle Black Indian Ink. You can try a black biro first, but these leave tracks on the paper and as a result of swaging the paper, also leaves a sheen. You can use 'watercolour' paper as it resists running and is prestretched to prevent warping from the water. You might like to also try black acrylic paint too, the stuff that comes in the white tubes in art and some stationery stores, called 'Chromacryl'. Not as runny, but has its own demands, but also best used on water colour paper for its water content.

The added blackness is what is needed to the sketches. The subtlety is there, but you need the brute. The subtle shades needs the graphite touch. The terminator needs its name's sake.

I'll copy some photo to show you what I mean. Will take a couple of days, though.
Old 30-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Well done, Michael. I've yet to attempt sketching the moon, but will have a go at some point. It does seem a bit intimidating. And great advice Alexander, I look forward to trying it. It makes a lot of sense.
Old 30-03-2010, 03:40 PM
orestis

Nice sketching Michael,Like Patrick i haven't attempted to sketch the moon,it just has so much detail that it seems kind of scary to think about doing , but seeing your sketch i think that i'll give it a go and see what i can come up with(its all about just having a go,isn't it?).

Happy observing
Orestis

Ps-Thanks for the tips Alex
Old 30-03-2010, 07:56 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Thanks for your comments Alex, I'll give it a go.

Patrick, Orestis. Don't be frightened. The longer you look the more detail you can pick out. I spent about 30min on those 2 sketches and saw so much more than the usual 'look' which may last 30secs
Old 30-03-2010, 08:08 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellxv View Post
I spent about 30min on those 2 sketches and saw so much more than the usual 'look' which may last 30secs

Oh,man, isn't that the way!! We are so used to rushing around everywhere, this is my chill pill, this hobby. Though I find it hard some nights to calm down, .
Old 30-03-2010, 11:04 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Repro sketch????

I pinched one of the kids black pencils and used 2B, HB & 2H pencils to get some extra shading.

Looks a bit better. Still a long way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2010-03-29 redraw.jpg)
189.5 KB25 views
Old 31-03-2010, 09:47 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

OH, MAN, THAT'S THE WAY!

What a difference! Now you can really make out the texture along the teminator- peaks, valleys, crater lips. Even though they were there in the first sketch, NOW you can apprieciate them!

You've gotta be happy with this. And three different grades of pencil too.

The only other thing you could do to lift it more is either colour a wide ring around the field of view, or cut it out and paste it on black paper. Then you will really have the Moon on its own.

Only " a bit better "! It really has changed the entire aspect, just adding 'Space'.

Mental.