#1  
Old 25-06-2008, 11:14 AM
renormalised's Avatar
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

renormalised is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Townsville
Posts: 9,698
Smile Dream Camera

Just going through the Canon site ( I have a Canon PowerShot and my brother has a 400D), and I came across a camera that'd leave even a good CCD setup for dead (once it was modded). A Canon EOS 1Ds markIII.

21.1 megapixels!!!!!!

Only one problem...it costs $12,000.

Although, if I had the money it'd definitely be on my list of purchases
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25-06-2008, 12:10 PM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 22,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
...and I came across a camera that'd leave even a good CCD setup for dead (once it was modded). A Canon EOS 1Ds markIII.
IMO, no it wouldn't.......

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-06-2008, 12:16 PM
renormalised's Avatar
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

renormalised is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Townsville
Posts: 9,698
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
IMO, no it wouldn't.......

Megapixelwise it does, but I'd have to hold judgment on pic quality.

Unless you go and buy one of the professional CCD cameras.

But who's going to pay $40000 or more for a CCD.... no average amateur could.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-06-2008, 12:51 PM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 22,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
and I came across a camera that'd leave even a good CCD setup for dead (once it was modded). A Canon EOS 1Ds markIII.

21.1 megapixels!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
Megapixelwise it does, but I'd have to hold judgment on pic quality.

Unless you go and buy one of the professional CCD cameras.

But who's going to pay $40000 or more for a CCD.... no average amateur could.
You've based it on megapixel count only and that's not the way to properly asses a camera's performance.
Even if you modd it, what would you do to it, remove the filter.
This changes it's response not the image quality per sť.

If you were to spend $12k or there abouts, then a mono SBig or other similar camera would produce stunning images.

When they start to cram in more pixels on the same size chip eg FF as in the case here, noise starts to affect image quality when compared to lower pixel count cameras.

Granted the Canon 1DS MkIII is a fantastic camera but the Nikon D3 is a better choice IMO for image quality.

At this level, these cameras are suited more for studio, professional outdoors and magazine work, but not to use in astro work based solely on pixel count.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25-06-2008, 01:14 PM
renormalised's Avatar
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

renormalised is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Townsville
Posts: 9,698
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
You've based it on megapixel count only and that's not the way to properly asses a camera's performance.
Even if you modd it, what would you do to it, remove the filter.
This changes it's response not the image quality per sť.

If you were to spend $12k or there abouts, then a mono SBig or other similar camera would produce stunning images.

When they start to cram in more pixels on the same size chip eg FF as in the case here, noise starts to affect image quality when compared to lower pixel count cameras.

Granted the Canon 1DS MkIII is a fantastic camera but the Nikon D3 is a better choice IMO for image quality.

At this level, these cameras are suited more for studio, professional outdoors and magazine work, but not to use in astro work based solely on pixel count.
I know that...but the higher pixel count will give a larger sized image. More dots/inch, per se. However, there's a lot more to image quality than size. Signal/Noise ratio, quantum efficiency and such all come into it. A mono SBIG will produce stunning images, no matter the size of the chip. A $12000 one would, no doubt. Plus it's specifically designed for astro work. Although it's been designed more for terrestrial work and such (then again what DSLR hasn't), I wouldn't sneeze at using one for astro work. Even if you just piggybacked it to your scope.

It would be interesting to try one out. Just to see how well it went.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25-06-2008, 01:18 PM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 22,020
Yes indeed, it would be great to try one.
The best price I've seen locally is $8999.......still

I'd much prefer a 1D Mk III with it's amazing 10fps (but it would have to have had the firmware fix update )
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25-06-2008, 01:27 PM
renormalised's Avatar
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

renormalised is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Townsville
Posts: 9,698
Post

Bit cheaper but still pretty damn dear!!!

That is quick...you wouldn't know you've taken 10 piccies by the time your finger pressed the shutter button!!! (or cable remote)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Ian Robinson
Registered User

Ian Robinson is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gateshead
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Yes indeed, it would be great to try one.
The best price I've seen locally is $8999.......still

I'd much prefer a 1D Mk III with it's amazing 10fps (but it would have to have had the firmware fix update )
You can buy a lot of telescope for that kind of money.

I'd rather have the telescope (sorry not an APO or Mak or SCT but a high quality RF Newtonian Astrograph or a fast Cassegrain and maybe a couple more Canon EF L style fast telephotos) and make do with my 40D and XD5. I already have a mount that I reckon is the bee's knees when it comes to "portable" GEMs (my brand spanking new Atlux).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-06-2008, 01:57 PM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 22,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
You can buy a lot of telescope for that kind of money.
You get no argument from me there, I agree, but if I was to choose between these high end models, I would prefer the 1D Mk III with it's 10fps capability.

I'm happy with my 20D/a, LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25-06-2008, 02:10 PM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 22,020
BTW if you want to hear what a 1D MkIII sounds like at 10fps check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlPeh99q0o

and a comparison of the other Canon models:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1535754&q=350D
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25-06-2008, 02:56 PM
vash's Avatar
vash (Ashley)
Registered User

vash is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 420
for a similar price you could also go for one of these in a 16 mega pixel
http://www.yankeerobotics.com/GoldTech.html
18 bit images!
I'd sooner go for the trifid
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Suzy_A's Avatar
Suzy_A
Registered User

Suzy_A is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 232
Forget all that rubbish - this is what you want...

http://www.hasselblad.com.au/hb/inde...TOKEN=31736592

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25-06-2008, 03:59 PM
TrevorW
Registered User

TrevorW is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,995
CCD dedicated camera's are specifically designed for astrophotgraphy and for this purpose a high end CCD camera would surpass any DSLR for image quality IMO FWIW

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25-06-2008, 04:20 PM
renormalised's Avatar
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

renormalised is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Townsville
Posts: 9,698
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_A View Post
Hey Susan, reckon since it's such a great camera, you can buy all of us one each, plus the accessories

We'll be eternally grateful
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Suzy_A's Avatar
Suzy_A
Registered User

Suzy_A is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 232
Dear Mr Renorm,

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that I am the last female heir to the Late Mr Rippoffu Kweekas, who was recently assasinated when his private bicycle was shot down by guvment forces last week while he was fleeing the Nigerian Tax Office.

He left me the sum of ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY NINE MILLION DOLLARS AND SEVENTY THREE CENTS US DOLLARS so that I could buy all my friends new 39 MP Hasselblad Cameras, with assessories.

Please send me all you bank account details and so that I may make a direct transfer of the money from your account.

Kindly and with warmth and gratitude,

Suzy
Nigeria
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Ian Robinson
Registered User

Ian Robinson is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gateshead
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
BTW if you want to hear what a 1D MkIII sounds like at 10fps check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlPeh99q0o

and a comparison of the other Canon models:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1535754&q=350D
40D does 6.5 fps.(expect closer to 6.0 fps).

It's probably pretty quiet too with the mirror locked up.

Interesting comparision (looks like the 1000D is not worth waiting for (for those who are waiting for it, just a rejigged 400D)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...1000d&show=all

I can't see any need for 6-8 fps in the kind of things I am likey to shoot , maybe if I go to an Olympic Games or Commonwealth Games one day to see the gymnastics ??? or some nature photography maybe ???

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 25-06-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25-06-2008, 05:02 PM
renormalised's Avatar
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

renormalised is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Townsville
Posts: 9,698
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_A View Post
Dear Mr Renorm,

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that I am the last female heir to the Late Mr Rippoffu Kweekas, who was recently assasinated when his private bicycle was shot down by guvment forces last week while he was fleeing the Nigerian Tax Office.

He left me the sum of ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY NINE MILLION DOLLARS AND SEVENTY THREE CENTS US DOLLARS so that I could buy all my friends new 39 MP Hasselblad Cameras, with assessories.

Please send me all you bank account details and so that I may make a direct transfer of the money from your account.

Kindly and with warmth and gratitude,

Suzy
Nigeria




Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Ian Robinson
Registered User

Ian Robinson is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gateshead
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_A View Post
Dear Mr Renorm,

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that I am the last female heir to the Late Mr Rippoffu Kweekas, who was recently assasinated when his private bicycle was shot down by guvment forces last week while he was fleeing the Nigerian Tax Office.

He left me the sum of ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY NINE MILLION DOLLARS AND SEVENTY THREE CENTS US DOLLARS so that I could buy all my friends new 39 MP Hasselblad Cameras, with assessories.

Please send me all you bank account details and so that I may make a direct transfer of the money from your account.

Kindly and with warmth and gratitude,

Suzy
Nigeria
What ?? I thought I was the only beneficiary .
Ivan Robinsov
Moscow.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 11:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
EQ8-R
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Astromechanics
Advertisement
Star Adventurer
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Celestron RASA
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement