Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 03-08-2020, 04:11 PM
MarkInSpace (Mark)

SynScan version upgrade - solved, but disappointed

I have been trying to upgrade the firmware on my HEQ5 SynScan V3 handset for quite a while now, in the hope of improving the mount's goto accuracy.
Not having an RS232 port on my computer, I first wired up my own cable using an FTDI USB to TTL circuit board that I had lying around from a different project.
It was a total bust - the firmware loader would never recognise the handset.
OK. I assumed TTL voltage wasn't high enough to work with the handset.

So I bought a "real" FTDI RS232 cable from ebay, and wired up the handset.
Another Failure, so I rewired, and rewired and rewired - all failed.

I investigated the RJ45 tp USB adapter that skywatcher sell - "Not able upgrade firmware" said the salesman.
Eventually a salesman from BinTel suggested I could probably use the Celestron RJ11 to DB9 cable cable since no similar cable existed for the HEQ5.

I plugged in all the pieces today and, *sigh*, got another "Handset not Found" error. For some reason, I pressed the Handset button in the firmware loader again - and it found it!!
But when I went to upload the firmware, i discovered V4 firmware was only for V4 hardware -makes sense. I found the V 3 firmware and stated the upgade - looking good...
..until it failed at 1.4% and said I needed to power cycle the hand set
I retried a number of times with a similar result.
In windows device manager (I'm in Win 10) I could see the COM port was defaulting to 9600 bps.
I dropped this to 2400 and tried again.
I got the same error message, but i noticed the handset screen had LO printed on the Right hand side.
without power cycling the handset, i just tried again and VOILA! it loaded - slowly, but it loaded.
Now the weather forecast in Melbourne is for rain for the next 5 days...
If anyone is facing similar problems with their firmware update, drop me a line and we can see if there's a way to share my cable (once all these restrictions are over!).
Old 03-08-2020, 07:17 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Never had an issue. Bought years ago a USB to serial converter cable at Jaycar, installed its driver, plugged the converter cable to the RS232 cable that comes with the HEQ5, and simply updated the HCs every time.

In fact, I have 3 USB/serial converters. Don't have a need for them any more...