Old 03-04-2020, 08:23 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Venus visits the Pleiades

Tonight was the first of two nights that Venus will be within the Pleiades star cluster. I was in luck with a clear western sky following some recent heavy rains.

The naked eye vista was very pretty in the fading twilight with the blazing Venus close to the horizon above the lights of Margate that were casting long reflections in the still waters of Northwest Bay. Venus' reflection was also clearly visible. The lingering twilight was just to much to pick out the Pleiades naked eye.

With 6.5X32 binoculars (9 degree FOV) I could pick out 9 stars with Venus appearing to be part of the cluster. At this stage they were only about 5 degrees above the horizon and before the sky could darken fully, encroaching high cloud dimmed the view.

A successful and enjoyable observation.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:30 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Glad you enjoyed the view , have seen plenty of images online today of the Pleiades and Venus together. Certainly a pretty sight that I'm hopefully able to enjoy tomorrow evening when it is supposed to be clear.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:40 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Thanks Jeff. I hope you have a clear night tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Glad you enjoyed the view , have seen plenty of images online today of the Pleiades and Venus together. Certainly a pretty sight that I'm hopefully able to enjoy tomorrow evening when it is supposed to be clear.