Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

NGC 104 - 47 Tucanae

Finally processed the better data from an imaging session in late September.

Not my finest work; some dumb decisions made when PA was proving difficult.

I've sat on this data for some time, perhaps hoping it would improve with age or something.....

Anyways, here it is...

Please feel free to comment...

Meade S5000 80mm Triplet
Celestron CG 5
Canon EOS 70d
Approximately 1.5hrs of data (30sec & 45sec) @ ISO 800, Darks for both exposure ranges, no flats. Stacked in DSS, processed in Startools
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Tuc47 LR.jpg)
199.4 KB102 views
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 PM
raymo

Very nice; even better if you quieten down the blown out core.
raymo
Old 10-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Very nice; even better if you quieten down the blown out core.
raymo
Thanks Raymo, I did have a crack at toning down the core in my Photo editing software but, it didn't look very natural... in fact it looked worse... probably a 'me' limit rather than the software itself...

Need to do some reading & view some tutorials on the software I use for final tweaking to see if I can tone that core down without it looking very odd...

Given all the issues I had with tracking & PA followed subsequently by some rather dumb decisions on how to fix my problems... I was pleasantly surprised at how this turned out... data I collected in the same night for Eagle Nebula is horrendous & no amount of processing will fix it..

Cheers
Old 10-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Carlton
Nice image, but yes unfortunately the core is blown out

For such a bright globular cluster can I suggest that 1 hour of integration at same exposure lengths ( say 30 sec ) and ISO is plenty as your image scale is around 1.7 arc sec per pixel

In Startools, do you use Auto develop for your first stretch and final stretch or develop ? Develop tends to bloat your stars and brighten your background whereas with Auto develop you have more control

Martin
Old 10-11-2019, 06:41 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Hi Carlton
Nice image, but yes unfortunately the core is blown out

For such a bright globular cluster can I suggest that 1 hour of integration at same exposure lengths ( say 30 sec ) and ISO is plenty as your image scale is around 1.7 arc sec per pixel

In Startools, do you use Auto develop for your first stretch and final stretch or develop ? Develop tends to bloat your stars and brighten your background whereas with Auto develop you have more control

Martin
Hi Martin,

All good info, thankyou. I had not imaged a globular cluster before so, wasn't sure what would work (or not).

Still very much feeliing my way with Startools, I did use Auto develop but, didn't play with any of the controls as I am still trying to understand what they actually do... possibly a little impatient to get a result & perhaps need to take some more time & gain a better understanding of what I am doing I think.

I still have the raw data & stack so, can reprocess the 30 sec data separately, re stack & reprocess to see if I can improve the result. The beauty of digital imaging...

I take my hat off to those guys that used to do this stuff with film, I have absolutely no idea how they got the images they did, I honestly don't...

Cheers
Old 10-11-2019, 08:56 PM
raymo

We used to dodge and/or burn in the darkroom. It was quite surprising what
could be achieved by a skillful dodger/burner.
raymo
Old 28-11-2019, 02:13 PM
crs (Colin)
Colin Melbourne

an observation - the stars seem to be elongated pointing out from the centre - what causes that?