Old 02-03-2018, 05:00 AM
WilliamPaolini

Thumbs up Morpheus 17.5mm

The new 17.5mm focal length is out for the Morpheus finally to complete the lineup -- at least I assume that will be the last one. At any rate after several weeks of testing they proved to be quite nice! Due to the upload size restrictions I had to break it up into Part 1 and Part 2 and post the second part in the second post of this thread :-/ Review attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Morpheus 17.5mm Review 2-26-2018 (IIS) v2 P1.pdf (481.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-03-2018, 05:01 AM
WilliamPaolini

Part 2 of the write up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Morpheus 17.5mm Review 2-26-2018 (IIS) v2 P2.pdf (439.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-03-2018, 03:28 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Thanks for sharing with us. Would fill a gap in my lineup.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:04 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Really enjoyed Bill's review here, especially..
Where he advises us on ..
NEVER assuming something you are
seeing is from the eyepiece(s) being tested, one needs to switch out all components in the optical chain, including Diagonals etc; and repeat tests using both eyes!

A lot of us have probably been guilty of doing just that when testing EPs...great advice indeed!

Producing a multi element widefield with very low scatter , high contrast, flat field, and as sharp as this appears to be, is no mean feat; essential for a clean view of Doubles with faint companions, and the Planets.

Sounds like they would make a very useful EP set for those abovementioned objects, and DSOs, especially in a non tracking Dob or similar.

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 02-03-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 06-03-2018, 04:53 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Really good write up of really good eyepieces.

As an owner of 5 of the things from 6.5-17.5mm I truly appreciate the long ER and easy view. Having tried and sold ES 82’s, Naglers and XWs in the shorter fl end the Morpheus are keepers. Much the same as XWs going from memory. They also go so well with my other keepers...Panoptics from 19-41mm.

Morpheus also work nicely in coma correctors..not that I have a reflector anymore, just a long fl Refractor.

Until May the Morpheus are on sale from Agena Astro for $175 USD each....saving $64 each which makes them a bargain right now.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Don Pensack

All Baader retailers in the US are offering the Morpheus eyepieces at $175US
until May 15.
All current stock is coming with the new threaded-on eyecup and an eyecup extender (for non-glasses wearers).

Matt, No 4.5mm? :-)