Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2013, 01:47 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Is this anyway to treat an IIS Member

This has been an ' experience ' that I encountered recently.

The ' Seller ' asked me to make a deposit to their bank account so as to ' validate ' my intentions to buy the ' said item '.....nothing else was said to me regarding the ' transaction ' .

I deposited $200.00 to their Account.....

Now for the bit that ' stinks ' ......the Seller messages me back thanking me for the deposit.....then informs me I have ' FORFEITED ' the right for a refund ( you lose your $200.00 ) if I backed out of the Sale.......NOT A WORD was PREVIOUSLY given to me explaining any ' terms or conditions ' about such matters.

That is one way of loosing ' potential ' buyers ( especially me ) in the future. If for some unforeseen reason I had to ' pull out ' of the Sale .... I would gladly throw $50.00 their way for any inconvenience....that's just the sort of person I am.

As it was.....I honored the Sale ( and always intended to ) and the ' item is in my possession.
Why do people have to behave in this manner....?

BTW....I have a history of buying from this member...and have always gone through with every sale.

I'm not asking you to agree with me on this.............just your opinion if you were in my shoes.....I for one don't like this sort of behavior.

Flash......
Old 27-06-2013, 02:16 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

It would be the last time I bought from them ....
Old 27-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
This has been an ' experience ' that I encountered recently.

The ' Seller ' asked me to make a deposit to their bank account so as to ' validate ' my intentions to buy the ' said item '.....nothing else was said to me regarding the ' transaction ' .

I deposited $200.00 to their Account.....

Now for the bit that ' stinks ' ......the Seller messages me back thanking me for the deposit.....then informs me I have ' FORFEITED ' the right for a refund ( you lose your $200.00 ) if I backed out of the Sale.......NOT A WORD was PREVIOUSLY given to me explaining any ' terms or conditions ' about such matters.

That is one way of loosing ' potential ' buyers ( especially me ) in the future. If for some unforeseen reason I had to ' pull out ' of the Sale .... I would gladly throw $50.00 their way for any inconvenience....that's just the sort of person I am.

As it was.....I honored the Sale ( and always intended to ) and the ' item is in my possession.
Why do people have to behave in this manner....?

BTW....I have a history of buying from this member...and have always gone through with every sale.

I'm not asking you to agree with me on this.............just your opinion if you were in my shoes.....I for one don't like this sort of behavior.

Flash......
If you have dealt with this seller before and this is the first time this has occurred (asking money up front then saying you forfeit if you back out) it may be that buyers in the past has stuffed this seller around. Not stating the terms up front before money exchanges hands is very rude and you have a right to be somewhat peeved. Personally I rather not deal with people like the one you describe. My view is that a buyer has the right to back out of a sale
Old 27-06-2013, 02:25 PM
allan gould

I would NOT deal with an individual that made such conditions.
Old 27-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Kunama

A lousy way to do business!
I would have no issue if they were up front and stated they wanted a non-refundable deposit to secure the item but this stinks!
Old 27-06-2013, 02:39 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

That's pathetic. They can't make up some random policy like that.

I would report them.
Old 27-06-2013, 02:40 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Sounds pretty dodgy to me.
It was nice of you not to mention names but looking at your recent purchase history there is really only one member that it could be.
Old 27-06-2013, 02:40 PM
rat156

No. not the way to conduct business here.

Mind you I seem to always send the cash to the seller before they ship the item. There's a certain amount of trust which is inherent with buying stuff from here, one which I hope people don't take advantage of.

I would never ask for a non-refundable deposit for astro gear, if someone pulls out of the sale it's probably for a good reason (like their significant other is about to kill them). I don't know if that breaches consumer law in Australia, but I suspect that it might.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 27-06-2013, 02:41 PM
mozzie (Peter)

bought and sold items here over the years and never struck that!!!!!
it would really make me suspicious to buy of them again in the future.....
Old 27-06-2013, 03:17 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
I would report them.
To whom?

Mike's pretty clear - IIS trades are a private arrangement between buyer and seller.

I have bought and sold lots of gear here - fairly trusting of those who frequent this site. Had one that felt strange, so the seller suggested using Australia Post and used their COD service - all worked out fine.

DT
Old 27-06-2013, 03:41 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
Sounds pretty dodgy to me.
It was nice of you not to mention names but looking at your recent purchase history there is really only one member that it could be.
I have purchased from a variety of people here recently....some purchases don't even show that I am the ' buyer ' .... don't try and read between the lines....that would be an assumption on anybody's part.

but I appreciate your comments ...

Flash.....

Last edited by FlashDrive; 27-06-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 27-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

The last time I made a purchase from a member, they had posted it well before I had even got the money into their account.

I also make it a point to ring them to let them know when it has arrived safely and to make sure that they have also received their money.
Old 27-06-2013, 03:55 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
The last time I made a purchase from a member, they had posted it well before I had even got the money into their account.

I also make it a point to ring them to let them know when it has arrived safely and to make sure that they have also received their money.
Me to....there are a ' handful ' of people here that I trust also, to the point that I will post off the item to them before I see the ' funds' in my account.
I have NEVER been ' burnt ' by them either.( I have bought from them and sold to them )
They have ' earned ' that trust because of previous dealings.

Flash....
Old 27-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I have bought and sold a few items. I always pay up front or expect payment up front then post the item. No problems ever.
Old 27-06-2013, 04:04 PM
casstony

i got bitten on my last purchase too Flash, there's a few unpleasant people on the forum, but most of my dealings have been good. Makes one wary for a while though. i wish there was a way to leave public feedback.
Old 27-06-2013, 04:31 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
To whom?

Mike's pretty clear - IIS trades are a private arrangement between buyer and seller.

I have bought and sold lots of gear here - fairly trusting of those who frequent this site. Had one that felt strange, so the seller suggested using Australia Post and used their COD service - all worked out fine.

DT
To the Mods?

They might be able to contact them and warn them about how to conduct business on the forums.
Old 27-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Stefan,

Mike/mods don't want to get involved in buying/selling stuff. I can understand their position.

As Mike has made it clear -- when you buy/sell stuff on here, you do so at your own risk.

Having said that, I'm sorry to hear you went through that condition on purchase. I suspect the seller has a reason why he/she did that, and, it was most likely because they'd been burnt in the past.

H
Old 27-06-2013, 06:07 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Col,

Did you try to resolve this with the seller before you went public? I agree it prima facie sounds wrong but I generally do like to hear both sides before making a decision.
Old 27-06-2013, 06:26 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
I have bought and sold a few items. I always pay up front or expect payment up front then post the item. No problems ever.
Ditto.
Old 27-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Hagar (Doug)

I personally have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of gear on this site. I have never asked for a deposit and often take cash on delivery and often make the delivery. My furthest delivery was to Adelaide COD, I was passing on holidays but this was still done with just a statement of acceptance on the forum. My personal approach would have been to cancel the sale/purchase and if required take action to recoup my money.
The world has changed to a point where no one trusts anyone. It is so disappointing to hear of this sort of behaviour when I think how many sales/purchases I have made on just a handshake.

Sad, sad, sad. Who ever you are you should be ashamed of yourself, particularly seeing you have dealt with each other before.
Closed Thread