Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
... we were taught to use lots of mental shortcuts to get an approximation of an answer, just in case we went astray with the buttons etc. I see that ability seems to be disappearing fast.
"Seat of the pants understanding" and "the calculator is for precision, not getting the basic answer" were drilled into me as a science student.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
You all need to watch Idiocracy.
What channel and when????

Andrew
Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

There's a saying which springs to mind after reading this thread.

"I have to stop saying how stupid can you be, people are starting to take it as a challenge"

Cheers
Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM
IanT
Ian

I find the aggressiveness, greed and pig ignorance of tradies just about balances the arrogance of academics. What does that prove? Nothing of course, except that we all have our own prejudices. Every group has it's fair share of insufferable fools - stargazers excepted of course!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT View Post
Every group has it's fair share of insufferable fools - stargazers excepted of course!
Who have an unfair share??

Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
They're probably not 'stupid' - instead they might have had all the basic things in life 'done for them' by others during their whole life up to that point. It might be a sign of having been spoilt (and thus lazy) in learning some basic skills in life. And/or they simply have no concept for cooking - again, a real sign of laziness in my book. Sorry to be harsh, but I have little time for people who don't have basic cooking skills. Fox
... although I should remind myself that I am just as guilty as doing similarly 'stupid' things from time to time, and above all, I should count my lucky stars if nobody gets hurt or injured as a result...! Fox
Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM
TrevorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post

Andrew
Google it
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Tonight Nice little eatery up the road , not cheap ,but they do nice food and great wood fired pizzas.

The catalyst for tonights offering IS worth mentioning , some months back we went there for a birthday and my wife ordered a woodfired pizza with no dairy as she allergic to it , out it came with fetta all over it.After some consternation from the kitchen it was decided the mistake was made because fetta isn't dairy!,, I still have visions of farmers chasing there goats round a paddock with a bucket going" ya aint going to no stinking dairy on my watch",, anyways must get back to tonights effort.

Same order again this time a take away, I made the point of saying ,please no fetta ,as it does mention it on the menu,thinking they couldn't mess this up again I didn't check before driving home , well there was no fetta there but covered in mozzeralla this time

Call them up and explain this and of course they are very appolagetic and off I go to pick up its replacement, common sense isn't one of my strongest attributes, or I would of looked before heading back home for the second time , not that I would of noticed , but during the second attempt someone did realise they wern't supposed to put cheese on it ,,after the fact ,,and tried to scoop it all off,doing a pretty poor job of the exersise.

So this ended with us having two pizzas sitting on the table , my wife cant eat either , 2x 10 km road trips , and two free ones at a later date
I'm thinking nah can't be done easier not to go back there again

Last edited by GrahamL; 03-07-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Starless (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post
Tonight Nice little eatery up the road , not cheap ,but they do nice food and great wood fired pizzas.

The catalyst for tonights offering IS worth mentioning , some months back we went there for a birthday and my wife ordered a woodfired pizza with no dairy as she allergic to it , out it came with fetta all over it.After some consternation from the kitchen it was decided the mistake was made because fetta isn't dairy!,, I still have visions of farmers chasing there goats round a paddock with a bucket going" ya aint going to no stinking dairy on my watch",, anyways must get back to tonights effort.

Same order again this time a take away, I made the point of saying ,please no fetta ,as it does mention it on the menu,thinking they couldn't mess this up again I didn't check before driving home , well there was no fetta there but covered in mozzeralla this time

Call them up and explain this and of course they are very appolagetic and off I go to pick up its replacement, common sense isn't one of my strongest attributes, or I would of looked before heading back home for the second time , not that I would of noticed , but during the second attempt someone did realise they wern't supposed to put cheese on it ,,after the fact ,,and tried to scoop it all off,doing a pretty poor job of the exersise.

So this ended with us having two pizzas sitting on the table , my wife cant eat either , 2x 10 km road trips , and two free ones at a later date
I'm thinking nah can't be done easier not to go back there again
This tale reminds me of a similar incident at a roadside eatery many years ago.
I was in a truck with two other roadies on the way to a country gig and stopped for fuel and food.

The front house sound guy was a vegetarian and so ordered a hamberger with everything, exept meat.

Got our stuff jumped back in the truck and are about to head off when vegetarian checks his burger and finds nice big rasher of bacon.

We head back in and he opens up the burger and says to the
woman "I said I did not want meat on the burger"
she says "there is no meat"
he holds up the rasher and says "what do you call this?"
her reply, and I quote
"that's not meat, that's bacon":scre wy:
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I'm a vegetarian. I only eat chicken.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

I only eat vegetarians, too.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Last human to walk on moon : 41 years ago

Last commercial supersonic flight: 10 years ago

Yes, I see humanity is progressing well.

The Bard nearly got it right in Henry VI:

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

I guess CEO's, bean counters and spin doctors simply were not useful occupations back then..
Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ http://www.iceinspace.com.au/vbiis/i...s/viewpost.gif

Andrew

Google it
I like a movie that lives up to its topic
Wiki says it cost 2-4mill and brought in 450k

Andrew
Old 04-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

It's a pretty funny movie which ties in with this topic. Thought I'd mention it so people might have a laugh.

It's by the people that did Office Space.

H
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM
BEVAN5433 (BEVAN)

Bags in griller

Aldi sell a brown paper bag that can be used in a griller for about $2.50 .It is reusable UP TO FIFTY TIMES. no wonder us Oldies get confused.

Bevan
Old 14-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Matt Wastell (Matt)
Look up, look good!

We have peaked!
Old 14-07-2013, 11:16 PM
cfranks (Charles)

Years ago I know, but when I first got a credit card I went to Woolies and used it a the checkout. Wrote my signature on the receipt with the clerk watching and she checked it against my card. Bummer, I had forgotten to sign the card! She gave me the pen back, I signed the card with her watching and she then checked the two signatures again.

Charles